Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing fungus with microfiber cloth Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Removing fungus with microfiber cloth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some time ago I more or less accidentally cleaned off some mild traces of fungus (snowflake appearance) on a lens.

I recently received a Petri Color Corrected Super 1.9. On the rear lens elements I could see some 'snowflake' traces, too. This time I decided NOT to use vinegar on a q-tip but to clean them with a microfiber cloth right from the start.

The result: sparkling lens elements, no more traces of fungus, intact coating. I don't know whether the microfiber cloth works just as good on the inner surfaces of some old lenses with a pretty soft coating but I am quite optimistic.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,

These microfibre cleaners work wonders.As I mentoined in another post,I even use to clean focus screens.

Just a word on keeping them clean.

Keep them well washed.DO NOT USE soap/detergent powders or fabric conditioners.Wash in a mild liquid detergent meant for wool.Dry between layers of kitchen paper roll.

The above may seem over the top,but powder detergents contain gritty particles that are the devil to completely dissolve.Also you do not want airborne grit to embed itself in the cloth.

I have cleaned the internal surfaces of Canon FD lenses in both mount forms,however my cleaning of older lenses has been limited to 'Russian' types.All have been cleaned successfully,but how soft the coatings are I cannot really say.

Glenn

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mentioned in an earlier thread that the microfiber cloth did magic on a lens surface contaminated with silicone oil. No solvent ever will dissolve this oil - with the microfiber cloth it could be wiped off in a few seconds.

Maybe european/german washing powders are different from US ones, I always wash the cloth together with other textiles at 30 or 40 deg C water temperature and dry them just in air. Since they are made from synthetic fibres they dry very quickly.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquid dish soap works fine on them.

Jon

Jonathan

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've washed lens elements with dishwashing detergent under running water, rubbing gently with clean fingers and rinsing well. I then dried them with a microfibre cloth.

This seemed to work perfectly, at least at the time. Of course, I had to take the lens apart, but the fungus was inside that lens.

That wasn't a valuable lens, but I may one day want to try it on something good. Is it terribly breaking any rules to wash a lens the way I did?

Will

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jonathan,

That's pretty much how I wash lens elements here. I've never had any issues other than nearly losing one down the drain! Now I use a secondary plastic container in the sink.

I use fairly warm water to rinse and then gently blot them dry with a fresh spotlessly clean towel. The glass dries fast, requiring just a quick dust off with air before assembly. I've never used the microfiber cloths. I think I will give one a try out - seems everybody likes them.

Will

Scott

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never heard of micro-fiber cloths...where do you get them???

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must be careful with running tap water as it often has abrasive particulate in it, e.g. rust.

Clenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agree about the contamination in tap water.Also one should be careful about rubbing lens with ones finger;well that is how I feel anyway as my finger tips feel quite rough.

Micro fiber cleaning cloth can be purchased in any good photography dealership.Get the big ones,not the small 6"x6" ones. Here in UK the small ones seem to be made from a thinner cloth.I personally think that these are spectacle lens wipers.

Jonathan

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the comments!

I'm glad I didn't necessarily send myself to hell by my washing method.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration