Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mirror stuck in the up position penta... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mirror stuck in the up position pentax me super « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph Hood

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter has an pentax me super program that had not been used in some time and when we put new batteries in it the shutter clicked and the mirror did not return back to it's position. I have an me super that did the same thing. Also on ebay I have bought an me and an me super that had the mirror stuck. So what's the problem? It must be a common problem. Possibly user error. Anybody know an easy fix???

Colga

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
It can be a simple oil question... try to find a scheme at net at a service/manual repair and put a very small amount of oil at the system that work with mirror (usualy at botom cover). at this forum i m sure u ll find some articles cause its a comun problem.

this link is in french and its for a pentax ES to help you to understand what i whant to sugest u : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/trucs/reparations.htm#sommaire

here for a service manual: http://www.robertstech.com/pentax.htm

Find a article here at this page "Pentax ME Super Ramblings" it maybe helps you https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/pentaxmeramblings.html

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a known fact that the ME Super mirror will stay in the up position if the batteries are flat or nearing exhaustion. Try a brand new battery. And make sure that the battery contacts are pristine clean and free of verdigris or other gunk. Throroughly clean the inside of the battery cap too - because that is part of the circuit. Otherwise the "common probem" to which you refer is the white lithium grease which Pentax used in the mirror-box mechanism. Given the age of the camera (around 40 years) that particuar grease transforms into an extremely heavy nature - almost like Five Minute Araldite.

In the latter instance there is only one cure. The mirror-box has to me pulled and the entire mirror-box mechanism thoroughly cleaned and relubed with an appropriate modern grease. The task is however absolutely not one for a first-time camera-tinkerer explorer.

Hope this helps clarify for you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration