Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Why use UV filters Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Why use UV filters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's two reasons to use a UV filter:

1) The filter protects the lens from dust, dirt, whacks and scratches. It's a sacrificial element.

2) There are actually several types of "UV filter", variously named Haze, Skylight, UV, etc. They all filter down into the visible range, more or less. You can get a hint of this by looking at the filter. Some look quite yellowish, but others look almost clear. The yellow look means blue is blocked. This supposedly cuts through the haze on the horizon. I seem to remember that dust and smog scatter light which isn't quite visible to the eye but shows up on film.

Ron

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that most of the people on here who are asking questions on serious repair/disassembly of their older film SLRs would know already what a haze/protection filter is good for.

You'd be better off posting this on a neophyte digital forum.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is a reply to a question in the Fungus thread.

Lee Crump

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will cease to learn shortly after I cease to breathe. Thanks for the info Jonathan.

Jonathan

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops yes, sorry, this was a tangent from the fungus topic. I didn't mean to imply that nobody knew and everybody needed to.

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think UV filters work best on old cameras, where the previous owner fitted it once and never took it off again. This will protect the (sometimes) soft coating from over-cleaning, there are probably much more lenses damaged by cleaning efforts than by dirt.

I once received a Braun Paxette with a (rather hard to find) f/2.8 Xenar on it, plus an old filter which was stuck on the lens and I had to destroy it to remove it. The glass of the lens is in pristine condition, having been protected by the UV filter for decades.

So if you find an old lens with an el-cheapo UV filter on it, trash the filter and enjoy the unmarked front element surface.

charlie

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the value of the UV filter is to provide more contrast in distant objects, say in the mountains. Closer than that, putting extra glass in front of your lens just degrades the image and invites flare.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only lenses I use without UV (0) filters are my 50mm and 100mm FD macro lenses.The front elements are so deepset,it is almost impossible to touch the glass by accident.All my other FD and leitz glass are fitted with filters for protection,from excessive cleaning for one.As Winfried states, poor cleaning has been the death of many otherwise very collectible lenses.

For no other reason but snobbery, the Leitz lenses are fitted with genuine Leitz filters.The FD items were fitted with a variety of makes.Recently I decided to standardise on the Hoya Pro 1 Super HMC UV (0),for my extreme wide angle lenses.A superb filter in a super thin mount, but rather expensive here in UK.However; I found a very obliging trader (eBay) in Hong Kong and have been able to fit all my FD glass with them,at a great saving.

Expensive protection it may be,but my unmarked front elements will remain so and the image quality is unaffected.

steve

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron, you schmuck. The guy asked an honest question. If you can't answer nicely, get lost. The world, and this web site, do not need another sarcastic know-it-all with no people skills and a bad attitude.

Steve

Will

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, I think he was just trying to keep things related, per the forum rules:

"PLEASE DO NOT POST...questions unrelated to repair of cameras from the above mentioned camera eras"

Name calling certainly won't advance your point, why not help someone with a broken camera question instead and fugiddabowdit...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration