Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 battery voltage Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon A-1 battery voltage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Croft

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just put a new battery in my A-1, and it worked fine for a roll of film (1), but now it will only give me meter readings, but not fire the shutter. This was the symptom before I replaced the battery. I measured the voltage, and it is 5.8V. Question is, what is the min voltage required to fully operate the camera?? Thanks in advance.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should first check that the shutter release magnetic switch is not hanging up.Remove base and see if armature needs cleaning.The fact that you are getting indications in the viewfinder,would suggest a hangup situation rather than a faulty/high resistance feed from battery box.5.8 volts is more than adequate to work camera.

John Croft

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I pulled the base off, and looked at the magnets. They are enclosed in a plastic housing. After giving them a thump with a finger the shutter released. It will fire 10 to 20 frames, then stick again, until I give it another thump. What can I do to fix this??? Thanks again in advance...

Glenn middleton

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to a,carefully remove the plastic housing and clean the face of the poles and the movable keeper with pieces of filter paper or blotting paper, dampened with Naptha (lighter fluid).Or b,using a very sharp scalpel cut a slot in the plastic housing that will allow you to insert a thin strip of naptha soaked filter/blotting paper.

The plastic housing was put on to keep the crud off the mating faces.However over the years the metal can become coated with a very thin layer of sticky dirt/grease/oil.

I use the slot method;I drill two small holes by twisting a pin chuck, fitted with a fine drill bit between finger and thumb.Use scalpel to remove strip of plastic between holes.Slot is then covered with tape.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration