Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! complete bayonet & 'series' con... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Help! complete bayonet & 'series' confusion « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

Can anybody direct me to a website, book, or even a .pdf file that eplains the differences between the Rollei/Yashica 'Bay I-VI' mounts and the Kodak (?) spec. 'Series' filter mounts? How do they differ? Can the mounts/filters be interchanged with the use of adapters?

FWIW, having looked briefly at some Series VI and "5.5" filters, I'm even more confused. Neither of the ones I've looked at have noticeable threads, nor do they appear to have bayonet mounts.

Finally, what's the reason for interchanging roman and arabic numerals to denote these sizes? For example, some filters are marked "Series V", others are marked "Series 5.5".

To confuse the issue even more, I'm aware that 'Bayonet I' is equivalent to 'Bayonet 30'. Hence my request for a handy, undoubtedly phone book-sized reference for these idiosyncraaies.

Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have one, but I can offer this much:

The Rollei Bayonet and Series systems have nothing whatsoever in common, unless you count the use of round glass. Rollei's BAY series evolved to suit their various lens offerings: 3.5 Tessar, 2.8 Tessar, 3.5 Planar/Xenotar and 2.8 Planar/Xenotar. The Series system was a series of standardized filter diameters, for which adapters were offered - generally custom made for particular models of camera, as at the time there were no standard lens diameters as there are today.

Series filters do not have threads or bayonets - sometimes they don't even have metal frames. They fit into adapters which consist of a rear piece configured at the rear to fit (usually slip-on, sometimes threaded) the front of the lens, and a threaded front retaining ring which screws into the rear piece and holds the filter in place in the middle.

I don't have a listing of the Series diameters handy. A Series 5 filter measures about 30mm (1.2") in diameter, and the adapter thread is about 33mm (1.3"). Series 6 filters are about 41mm (1.625") in diameter, with a 44mm (1.75") thread on the adapter. I've never encountered a Series 5.5 that I can recall, I assume it was somewhere in between 5 and 6. As for Roman numerals, there is no difference between Series 5 and V, or Series 6 and VI; they're just numbers. It's probably pretty hard to come up with a Roman Numeral equivalent for 5.5, though.

I assume there would be Series adapters to fit the various Rollei bayonets; they made them to fit just about every other camera made in those days, it wouldn't make sense to leave the Rollei out.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It's probably pretty hard to come up with a Roman Numeral equivalent for 5.5, though."

It would be written V.I/II. The romans did not know decimals. Even when arabic numbers were used (in the middle ages) the same notation was still used. 1.5 was written 1.1/2.

I don't know when true decimal calculation was introduced, I think it was after the french revolution when the french started introducing metric and decimal dimensions (they were not very successful by dividing a day in 10 hours with 100 minutes each).

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick and Winfried--

Thank you both for the information!

Cheers,

-CJ

Curt

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Series filters are available with slip on, screw on or bayonet adapters. I have many varieties of all three as I bought a box of 110 adapters for series filters in numerous sizes and configurations/offsets. It is a huge confusing mess alright as Ednalite, Tiffen, Kodak and others all seemed to have their own product #'s for each filter or adapter. Series filters are available in series C, 5 or V, 6 or Vl and 7 or Vll. Might even be others but I'm not aware of them. Also made adapters with a small lever on the side for polarisers.

Curt

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, looking thru one of my Tiffen Stock 3 Guides I see series 8 and series 9 were available also. The Kodak series Filter System Guide only shows series filters from series 4 thru 8.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration