Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex: light break out around th... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rolleiflex: light break out around the margin of photo-frame « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Siwoo Lee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lights break out the frame margin of a photograph when bright scene (e.g. sky...) is taken and expose the next cut of film. I tried to tightened up bolts and filled up any possible gap in the camera, but it does not work.
Please suggest me another possible causes of breaking out of the light and way to fix it....

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't state which Rolleiflex model.

Is the pressure plate set to 120? The 135 setting (for 35mm film) would hold the thinner 120 film less rigidly against the film gate.

Siwoo Lee

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rolleiflex 3.5F.
Yes, I set the pressure plate to 120.

Thank you for your concerns...

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This could also be related to the film used.... the film has an anti-halation coating on the back surface to prevent light from bleeding out beyond the exposed area; some might be more effective than others.

Roland Schregle

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen this effect on my Rolleiflexes (3.5B and 2.8C) too. This often happens in daylight shots when the sun is near the edges of the frame or in night photographs with street lamps. Usually it doesn't protrude into the next frame, so it never really bothered me.

As already mentioned, it's either the pressure plate or the film's backing paper reflecting back into the film, which probably varies with manufacturer.

Wayne

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There have been discussions of this problem on the various Rollei user groups. Some people think that it's a definite design fault. Is the exposed area on the next frame in a narrow band? This seems to be the most common problem and is supposed to be caused by light bouncing off the chrome film rollers. I've seen this effect in a 2.8C and a 3.5E - it only occurs when photographing a very bright scene.

Cheers
Wayne

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration