Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FTB-n mystery hole Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » FTB-n mystery hole « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jack wittlich

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an old black body Canon FTB-n with the number 825 7/2 marked on the inside of the back. When I bought it on eBay, I didn't notice a small, irregular hole in the bottom that was covered with black tape. The hole is about 0.188" diameter, near the front edge of the bottom, and almost in line with the l of QL on the front.

Shooting a roll of film shows no light leakage. It's a cosmetics thing. I wonder what the hole was for. It doesn't line up with the winder mechanisim.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose the irregular hole is due to somebody trying to drill thin plate unclamped.The hole should be adjacent to the bottom of the shutter release spindle/rod.Many years ago someone published a modification in one of the forensic journals,to allow a Squirrel Data Recorder to be activated every time the shutter was released.

Basically the mod was a sprung electrical contact that was operated by the foot of release rod.The contact was held on the base plate by a paxolin washer,via the hole in question.The neg lead was attached via tripod bush.

The system did give some improvements to identifying negatives in a long test sequence.However the data back was the more sensible way to go when they became available on other models.

The 825 7/2 if it is not a repair ref, could be an inventory number.A laboratory camera is likely to have had this mod. Of cause it could just be due to somebody playing silly buggers!

jack wittlich

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, thanks for the ideas. I'm an old FTB-n fan from the '70's when I had a chrome model. I gave it to my son, and decided I had to have another one. Go figure?

Best regards,

Jack

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack,

If the 825 7/2 number is stamped in faint ink on the inside of the back, it would relate to Canon's dating scheme. I seem to recall that the number would tell you the month and year of manufacture, as well the plant which produced it (not certain about the last item though).

I don't remember anymore where I found the info, but am certain that some 'googling' would find it again.

All the best,

Jan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Canon coding is alphanumeric and on the body is printed/paint stamped in the cassette chamber,adjacent to the latch.The only back doors so marked are the Data Backs.For ref the code could be a, N0903F or b, ON612;in case a, body manufactured in Fukushima September 1973.The 03 is a factory code which has nothing to do with date.In case b,body manufactured in Oita June 1999.After 1986 factory code became suffix,again the 12 is not part of date code.Letter A is 1960 or 1986, Z is 1985.Months Jan thro' Sept can be 01 thro' 09 or the 0 can be omitted.

The code was/is always alphanumeric and has never included the / sign in items I own or have repaired/examined.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration