Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1962 Minolta Hi-Matic - rangefinder o... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » 1962 Minolta Hi-Matic - rangefinder out of adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve T.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can an amateur adjust the rangefinder? What is involved?

It's out vertically and horizontally.

The camera is near-mint cosmetically and I don't want to mess it up, but neither do I want to spend big bucks on a camera that's not worth a lot.

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some amateurs can, others cannot repair & readjust rangefinder arrays (there are different designs and make-ups as one can easily imagine), but if, as you say, the camera "is not worth a lot", why worry about it anyway ?

Steve T.

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why worry about it?

Because it would be nice to USE the camera, for one thing. For another, it would be good experience for me to fix it.

It might actually be worth some money, though not a fortune. It's a first year of production Hi-Matic, 1962.

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it is most probably the selenium metered first Hi-Matic with a 2,0/45 Rokkor lens and the release button on the front. Unfortunately I have never tinkered on that one, but if both vertical and horizontal alignment is necessary one usually has to remove the top cap which requires the dimantling of the advance lever, rewind knob and often some extra screws. Alignment on later Hi-Matics (7 or 9, for example) is done by turning a slothead screw behind the mirror (vertical) and one (horizontal, it is the one pointing to the back, the other one visible is for fixing) in the middle of the viewfinder array by which the angle of the front lens of the finder can be changed. As someone without little experience and if the camera means something to you (not considering what it may be worth in money !) I would not do it without having practised beforehand on a junker, because first repair attempts may end in a mess.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration