Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed lens on Zenit Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Jammed lens on Zenit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck Frey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I bought a Zenit 312m at a flea market--at least it was cheap. In a moment of poor judgment,i tried an older Pentax lens on the camera and then discovered I couldn't get it off.
The lens turns about a quarter inch and than hits something and won't unscrew. (It's not the diaphragm pin because I checked. Any advice?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chuck,

Is this an older Super Takumar, or the newer Super Multicoated Takumar version? The SMCT has pins and protrusions on the rear to facilitate full aperture metering with Spotmatic F and the Pentax ES / ESII.

Specifically, there is a tiny pin on the mating surface of the lens mount (surface which sits against the mount of the camera). This pin prevents the lens from being switched to aperture stop down mode when mounted on the 'F', 'ES' and 'ESII'. I have a feeling this is the pin which is preventing the lens from being removed.

Try to peak between the mating surfaces of the lens and the camera to see if this is the case. The trouble is, that it might be very difficult to remove the lens if this is the problem. I have seen many SMC Takumars with this pin sheared off....

Good luck,

Jan

David

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you open the back of the camera and fire the shutter set to B, you may be able to see through the camera to the back of the lens and see what is stuck.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am quite sure that is what Chuck already did; that is how he found that the auto aperture pin was not the culprit.

The only other item on the back of the SMCT is a lug which indicates maximum aperture to the body, that could also be fouling something inside the Zenit.

In my previous post I meant to say "Try to peek..." and not "...peak...".

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration