Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Autocord TLR front standard n... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta Autocord TLR front standard needs alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Todd Erickson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front standard on my Minolta Autocord (an MXS I believe) is not parallel with the body of the camera. When fully retracted in the there is gap a the bottom of less than 1 mm. So what is in focus in the ground glass is not what's in focus at the film plane. Is this something that can be adjusted by using set screws or shims? (I havent taken this camera apart - or any other TLR - nor do I yet have a repair manual so I'm not sure on the inner workings) I've seen numerous sources for the Autocord CDS III repair manual. If the answer is in there, let me know. Thanks.

Audrius J.

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem. I found some autocord disassembling instruction on http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html and follow it. But I can't find screws, designed to adjust/remove lens board.
Maybe somebody can share page from servece manual or write where i can find screws, designed to adjust lens board.
Thank you.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On most TLRs I have worked on (I hope Audrius enjoys his item) the front standard is attached to the focussing bars by four screws close to the corners. But I have never seen shims between the standard and the T shaped ends of the focussing sliders.

I rather think the front end of the focussing sliders is misbent due to a severe shock. Probably rebending them is not possible without disassembly of the focussing mechanism which is not easy - on most TLRs on the crank side the focussing mechanism is hidden below the advance mechanism which sometimes can be removed as a separate subassembly.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS. The T shaped ends can be seen in Rick's note, the drawing just above the headline 'Yashica Mat shutter front'. I refer to the both things protruding between the opening for the viewing and the taking lens.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PPS. I think the Autocord has a focussing lever below the taking lens, and follows roughly the design of the german Reflekta TLRs. In this case, the standard is guided by the taking lens helicoid only and consists of a long plate going above the taking lens. This plate can easily be misbent. You will have to disassemble the whole front part of the camera to get access to the lens board.

Since this lens board usually is straightened during stamping, there is no possibility to align it with screws etc.

Audrius J.

Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your answer. As I understood, I need to remove the shooter completely. I've found three Japanese links ( http://ns.kochi-med.net/moto/camera/camera_repair/minolta_autocord/ http://ns.kochi-med.net/moto/camera/camera_repair/minolta_autocord_ra/ http://ns.kochi-med.net/moto/camera/camera_repair/minolta_cds/ ) and understood how the lens board is fixed, but I don't understand how can I remove shooter. Is it possible to remove shooter without disassemblation? I've found some screws near the shooter, maybe it is enouth only to unscrew them?

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops... probably you mixed 'shutter' with 'shooter'? As mentioned, I do not know the Autocord, but on all TLRs I have seen (of which the ReflektaII has a similar design) the shutter is attached to the lens board with a big ring nut (screw ring) from behind. Of course you will have to remove everything in front of the shutter first.

Todd Erickson

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all for the info. Looks like I'll have to do some disassembly and strategic bending. And maybe learn some Japanese. I'll have to find one in pretty bad shape so that I can get some practice on that before tackling my own - and hey if I dont break anything I could end up having 2 usable cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration