Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Datematic: film does not advanc... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon Datematic: film does not advance, possibly stuck in a rewind mode; and disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maurice

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have just got a Canon Datematic. Looks cute, fine and clean, but the film does not advance (I can not wind the film advance lever).

The shutter button can be depressed all the way down without problems. The frame counter shows S mark. The film transport indicator shows red and white stripe pattern (also does not move). The film rewind button in the bottom of the camera looks depressed although not completely locked (there is still some tiny room for it to go deeper). Both take-up spools rotate freely both directions, therefore I suspect the camera is stuck in a rewind mode.

I have just followed the basic recommendation for Canonets that I found in this forum: 1. I tried to clean up the shutter blades with some lighter fluid (there are no lens elements that would cover the blades from the film chamber side, so I can easily access them); 2. I have managed to unscrew both film advance and rewind knobs, as well as three screws in the top and three screws in the bottom of the camera, but I still can not take them apart. I do not want to use a brute force to take the covers off until I do know what I am doing, as I could damage wires going to a hot shoe and to a battery check button by the viewfinder...

Does anybody know if I can fix this, or at least how to take off the top and bottom of the camera? It looks different from both Canonet QL-17 and Canonet 28 that were widely discussed here.

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a dismantled A35F which I think is basically the same camera. I think there were two little screws in the back and one on the end. Both cranks need to come off. The pop up flash can stay in place. I don't remember it being too bad. Hope this helps.

Maurice

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Charlie --
from pictures and descriptions (http://35mm-compact.com/compact/canondatematic.htm), I would say Datematic is closer to Canonet 28 rather than to A35F, at least is does not have a built-in flash. There are three screws in the top cover (two on the sides by the strap rings, and one in the back by the film transport indicator). I can unscrew all three of them and of course to take off both rewind knobs. The top cover does not come off. I was able to move it very tiny bit upwards, but that was it. As a result of my manipulations, the shutter button become stuck too... well, for half a minute maybe, then I clicked it back in the position.

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of these cameras have screws under the hot shoe. You have to slide off the thin stinless steel cover aurrounding the round contact to get at them. It's been awhile since I've had a Canonet 28 apart. Hope this helps.

Maurice

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you were right, there are four tiny screws under the hot shoe cover. As for the bottom cover, it just needed some additional effort to come off. Now that I see the rewind button, there is a small lever that holds it in a depressed position. When I move this lever aside, the button goes up, and when I depress the button back it goes down and remains there fixed by the lever again. Perhaps this lever function could be disabled if I wind the film but since the film advance lever is stuck...

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Hopefully this is not shuter blades that became stick to each other: I can see they move very little bit when I press the shutter release button.

Looks like this camera does not have a manual mode so I can not play with shutter speeds. Also, I still have to get batteries for it, do you think it might be simply because of there is no batteries inside?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration