Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Summicron "take-apart" help. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Summicron "take-apart" help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Scolman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, is there a "Summicron take-apart" on the web anywhere, for download? I have searched and found none. I want to do a CLA on an older, collaspable(sp) Summicron. I have not done this before, but am good with tools and have lots of technicial and mechnical experience, you know, lawn mowers, old cars, etc. haha! Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jim Scolman.

John Shriver

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomosy's Leica Camera Repair Handbook covers the Summitar, but not the collapsible Summicron. But they should be pretty similar.

Trick is, you really need to check the collimation of any Leica RF lens when you're done with working on it.

That said, what probably needs the clean and lube is the focusing mount, which is pretty much identical between Summitar and Summicron. Leave the lens capsule shut unless there's a problem in there, easy to leave it dirtier than you started.

Your local public library should be able to get you a copy of the Tomosy book, if via inter-library loan.

John Shriver

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I just got one. Needs cleaning. I was also a little loose when it arrived. The black ring on the rear obviously holds it into the focusing tube. I tightened mine. There are obvious notches in the front ring.

That said, while I've done a lot of my own lens repairs, knowing how very soft the internal coating is, I think I'll leave this one to DAG. I've got some other lenses that I think have collimation problems I'll let him work on too.

http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration