Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL-Super : focus problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica TL-Super : focus problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gianluca

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have an old yashica tl-super from my grandfather.
I noticed that I tend to focus objects at a given distance (eg 5 meters) with a "wrong" index numer on the lens (in this case it would probably be "8 meters").

In order to check if it was the lens, I put a piece of wax paper where the film usually sits and tried to focus objects on that "screen" : this way I got "right" distances on the lens...at the same time , looking thru the viewfinder with that focus setting resulted in a slightly off-focus image.

so it looks like something in the mirror-focusing screen system is a bit out of place : do you know how to adjust this on my camera?

last : excuse me if my english and knowledge of technical terms are not perfect...I'm Italian...

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is most likely due to the mirror not being at the correct 45 degree rest position.The other cause is that the screen has been replaced and not adjusted,but I would think this is unlikely.First check that there is nothing obstructing the mirror rest.Sometimes pieces of damper foam become dislodged and obstruct mirror return.
Normally the mirror rest is adjustable.As I do not know the mechanics of this model,I am unable to tell you how to do it.Sometimes the adjustment is as crude as bending the metal stop.
I have no doubt that someone will put you right on the method of adjustment.

francesco

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I've the same problem after having replaced the mirror (it got broken). I noticed that there is an adjustment screw for the mirror stop position but I was unable to reach and operate it. It looks like you need to de-assemble the whole camera to get that screw...
Someone who knows how to do?
Of course one can insert some kind of thickness between the screw and the mirror stop mechanism, but it is a dirty solution...
Bye
francesco (italy)

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will have to find a repair manual for the TL-Super.OTC Ltd in the UK has the exploded parts view pages for sale, approx £18 plus P&P.They do not have anything else.

Francesco,did you replace the mirror with one of the same thickness?If you did and were careful,your focus should not have altered.

francesco

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
I replaced the mirror with one taken off from another identical camera I had for spares.
Probably the different thickness is due to the glue used to attach it to its support.
First I tried with very few glue: focus was Ok but the mirror got soon detouched as I tried some shots.
Then I tried again with some glue more, but focus need adjustment

Bye the way, I've a yashica TL electro X ITS, not a TL super, and I also have the exploded parts view for it: there is clearly an adjustment screw as I mentioned, but I couldn't reach its head in any way...
Best regards
Francesco

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Francesco,

Yes I did wonder about the glue film thickness/bond.This can be quite a problem,as you have found out.Do not know what type of tool is used for mirror adjustment on the Yashica range.The Canon A series use a little cranked spanner to turn the stop screw.

What type of head does your adjustment screw have,is it + or slotted for a screwdriver or is it Hex headed?Knowing what is supposed to turn said screw will help you make up a suitable tool.

francesco

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
I don't actually know what type of head it has, since I wasn't able to get access to the adjustment screw head. It seems to be quite hidden inside the camera.
I'll send you a diagram on your e-mail address so you'll see where the screw is (I don't know how to insert attachment here).

BR
Francesco

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration