Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lense Cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Lense Cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ollie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there I was wandering what would be the best method of cleaning lenses inorder to avoid cleaning scratches. I have a microfibre cloth but should I get cleaning fluid or not??

regards

Ollie

charlie

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever you use I think you should start with a soft brush to dislodge any grit while holding the camera lens down so any grit will fall away from the lens, not just slide around on the lens. There are lens brushes available in what looks like a lipstick tube.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With a microfibre cloth you do not need cleaning fluid.Brush or blow the glass first and then just breathe on the lens.Wipe with cloth and then using fresh area of cloth,wipe the dry lens again.If lens still looks a bit soiled,repeat the whole procedure.As has been stated in another thread, these microfibre cloths will remove all types of grease with ease.

If lens is really dirty then I suppose a cleaning fluid may be needed.My lenses never get like that and I certainly would not purchase a lens in that condition unless it was something very special and very cheap.

Ollie

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an aside, can you clean the microfibre cloth by washing it?? Can you wash it in the washing machine or hand wash it?

Ollie

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although people do put them in the washing machine with normal wash,this is the quickest way to damage these cloths.The manufacturer's recommendation is to hand wash separately.Because of the way the cloth is woven, the weave that is designed to pick up dirt will pick up other fabric 'particles'.Thus you can alter the nice soft surface into one with the potential to damage a lens.

I will not take the risk.I hand wash using a few drops of a liquid detergent suitable for wool/synthetics.Again this looks a bit over the top but soap powders can have course particles in them which are very slow to dissolve and will scratch lens coatings.A hand wash is not the best way of getting powders totally dissolved.I know this from forensic evidence I once gathered for a court case.

Glenn.

Alex

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try using Opticlean, which is a lacquer you 'paint' on the lens. It dries to a thin polymer film which you then peel off with a strip of sticky paper. It's highly effective, and as there is no rubbing of any kind, there's no risk of scratches.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration