Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sony DSC F707 - Broken LCD screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Sony DSC F707 - Broken LCD screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

D. Plennert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The LCD screen is broken. The camera still takes pictures. Is this something we can fix ourselves? If not can someone tell me how much this would cost to fix? (estimate) If we can not fix this ourselves can you recommend some place to send it to?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not the type of equipment this forum deals with.Can you repair yourself?If you are used to repairing modern IC circuits and have access to proper soldering equipment-maybe, if you can get hold of a spare module.

Send it back to local Sony Service Centre for estimate.In UK this repair is approx £140.00+ for all in service.

rick_oleson

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that actually sounds like a pretty decent deal - LCDs aren't cheap.

Steve

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"ESPECIALLY DO NOT POST questions about digital cameras. Probably all of us here have at least one digital camera. If it breaks we'll just buy a new one. You should do the same!"

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem as I see it is that the layout and working of this Forum Site are so good,they just invites people to ask questions about all types of cameras. I find some other sites completely unfathomable.Also because of the time some of us have been involved with photographic equipment,we do have the relevant knowledge to point the hapless owner to the nearest source of help.

In 40 years time my 21 year old son will be my age and he will be maintaining my Leica M stuff,just as I do now.However I suspect that my dear A1s will have been relegated to the display cabinet.He uses Canon and Sigma digital slr equipment because he likes the computer 'processing' aspect just as much as I like the darkroom. So I suspect his main tinkering will be with collectible digital slr cameras - he has already repaired a Sigma SD10 that was considered a write off.With the right equipment it can be done,if you are interested in and understand electronics.

I suppose we tinker with what we are brought up with,be it car, motorbike or camera and as I have written before,I will try and help anybody who presents me with the facts of a problem.Even if it is just directions to the nearest repairman.

Henry

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

The problem is that if a demarcation line isn't drawn somewhere the forum will become too broad and therefore useless to everyone.

Fixing a digital camera isn't anything like fixing a Retina. In fact, it is more akin to fixing the motherboard on your computer. Possible? of course! But beyond the scope of this board.

The fact that a Retina and a digital camera both takes a picture is a coincidence...so does my daughters phone! Should camera phone people ask questions about repair here? Of course not.

Henry

digital sux

Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No digital please.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, September 05, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry.

Quite agree;I would never advocate giving actual repair advice for anything but the Classics.One has only to search out a few broad spectrum forums to see how ineffectual they really are.

It's just that I do not think it is very helpful to tell somebody with a broken digital to trash it and buy a new one.Those brutal facts are probably the only logical answer,for somebody who understands the economics of repairing electronic devices to give.The fact that the questioner had to ask,shows they do not understand.I would not explain the why and where for,but I would point them in the direction of a person who could.

I just feel that one can get so wrapped up in one's own circle of activity,that the problems of others outside that circle are ignored.Recent sad events have shown what can happen when this is taken to extremes.

The internet has opened up the world for like minded people to communicate.As for actually meeting people and interacting,it has made us far more insular,which is sad.

Will now burn my 'putting the World to rights' hat and wear my photography one permanently.

Glenn.

William Tarnes

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Will now burn my 'putting the World to rights' hat and wear my photography one permanently"

Good!! Beause we really don't need 5000 new posts on "I dropped my FragileJunk 1000 digicam and now it don't work."

Rules are rules for good reason. Obey them or open up your own forum for peace, goodwill and microchip repairs.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration