Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bellows replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Bellows replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R.W.G

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone out there into doing economical bellows replacement? Love to save some cameras, but repair costs well exceed value

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of cameras are you thinking about?

Sometimes you can patch the old bellows and make it usable. Something like black silicone gasket stuff works well to plug holes in the corners. Use cloth tape to repair tears in the covering. For big holes, you may have to cut out a piece of replacement material and glue it in place. If there are a lot of pinhole leaks, the bellows is beyond repair and you have to make a new one.

I've made replacement bellows for several medium format folders. It's tedious, but not really difficult. The two main problems are 1) getting good measurements from the old bellows, and 2) finding suitable material. Making the bellows is actually fairly easy.

I have some notes I wrote up and can put them up on my website if you want the info. The same principles should work on large format camera bellows, but I've never tried making one myself.

If you can find new old stock from a reapir shop, that's the easiest and cheapest way to go. You can try camerabellows.com as well to see what a new bellows would cost. Depending on the camera it may be less than you think.

Wim Abbeloos

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/bellows.html
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/bellows.html

Just two websites I favorited because I will be giving it a try myself soon. I also have a 1920 book on photography which describes how to make bellows. It is written in Dutch, my first language. I hope to translate parts of the book and scan the plans to make them available to more people.

The onyl adavice I can give you is not to repair them, but just replace them immediately.

Dan, I would be happy to read your notes if you decide to share them.

charlie

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've repaired pin holes by pushing a pin down through the hole and opening the back and coating the pin point with a dab of black silicone rubber (RTV) and then pulling the pin back out of the hole. I put a small dab on the outside at that point. I leave the bellows extended for several days while the RTV cures. I don't know how long such a repair will last and it is not suitable for large holes but it allows you to test a camera's performance to see if a new bellows is worthwhile. Good luck.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. I wrote this up a few months ago but got sidetracked and never quite finished. It should be helpful:
http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/folders/folders.html

There is a link on the page to a more extensive document that I was considering publishing as a book. It's not quite finished, but I've included the link anyway. For now, just take it as is and use whatever you can from it, but please don't distribute it around the Internet yet.

R.W.G

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grateful thanks to Dan,Wim, & Charlie for the helpful advice and information.

Barry Young

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We make replacement bellows starting at around $80. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into making bellows from scratch. You are absolutely correct, some cameras are not worth a new bellows.

Barry Young
cameramaker.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration