Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL-Super: ding on top Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica TL-Super: ding on top « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anirban

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have a Yashica Tl-Super but that has a small ding
on the prism pyramid just in front of the hotshoe.
How difficult is it to remove it? Is the metal too thick? Also, how do I remove the shutter speed dial? This is required to take the top plate off.

Thanks,
AB

Ezio

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helas, I asked the very same question a few months ago ("dings begone") and the conclusive answer was, there is no way to remove these things. Once the metal has been stretched, it cannot be brought back to its previous status. I would LOVE to be proved wrong, but I'm afraid this is pretty much the situation.

M Currie

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seconding Ezio, if the ding is so deep and nasty that it somehow impedes the function of the camera, you can take the plate off and hammer or press it out just to restore function, but otherwise, it's unlikely you will ever get it to look better, and it will probably look worse after the repair. The brass stretches, and if it's a chrome plated top, the plating will probably crack when you push it back out, so you'll end up replacing a dent with a wrinkle.

By the way, I've tried it.

Anirban

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone! I have decided to leave
the ding as it is. An eyesore it sure is,
but does not impede the functioning
of the camera.

AB

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration