Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Nixe not opening Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss Ikon Nixe not opening « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

egdinger

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nixe, made by Zeiss Ikon. It is a folding camera, but I can't figure out how to open it.

egdinger

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it figured out, there is a button hidden under the letherette.

But now there is a problem with the apature blades, one is not where it should be. It doesn't retract as far as it should, and messes up the shape of the apature.

rick

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's a problem. one of the pivot pins on a blade has either broken or (hopefully) just gotten popped out of its little groove. but getting to it requires a very complete disassembly of the shutter. what model of shutter is it?

rick : ) =

egdinger

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what the problem was, but I took off the rear element and just pushed it back into place (probably a bad idea), and it's fine now. But the shutter speeds are another matter...

Sorry I thought I had said what it was, it's a compur shutter.

I have it apart and put some lighter fluid on the shafts of the escapement (the clockwork) and it didn't help at all.

rick

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually that works. How is the shutter behaving (ie, good at high speeds but hesitant at slow speeds; only fires at one high speed regardless of setting; blades move slowly; etc)?

the aperture blades had apparently slipped out of its slot, and you popped it back in.... which is fine. you might want to check for loose screws that may have allowed it to slip out in the first place and might do so again.....

: ) =

egdinger

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may not have got enough fluid on the shafts, What do you use to get it places?

It seems to be working decently at higher speeds, but a slow speeds it sticks. And it doesn't want to go to T.

egdinger

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the escapment seems to be working smoothly if I take the cocking ring out. But the cocking ring seems to be sticking, as it won't trip the shutter to close.

Also the shutter blades don't close tightly, they leave a small hole in the middle of the blades.

And I figured out why it doesn't want to go to T, the spring that it is supposed to push towards the center is trying to go under the ring.

I'm wondering if something has gotten bent and jamming it all up. Could this be a possiblity?

rick

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it sounds like something is out of position, or bent. the little hole in the center means the blades aren't travelling all the way in the closing direction.

it's possible that the resistance to movement could be dirt in the actuating ring and the blades. generally, getting these properly clean requires removing them from the shutter - which is the next most difficult assembly short of getting the aperture blades out.

egdinger

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I took off the shutter blades, and put them back on. And they are fine now, in relation to the hole. But I have to take them back off and get the ring out too?

How does the ring come off?

And looking at the cocking ring, and the ringset dial, they apear to be a little bit bent. I'm thinking that may be causing some problems too.

I think I picked the wrong camera to try a CLA on, aw well.

rick

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything a little bit bent will definitely cause a problem. if you can get them perfectly straight again, you may be able to fix it.

if you've gotten to where the blades come off, the actuating ring should be easy - it's the ring that rotates to open and close the blades, with one of the sets of holes that the blade pivot pins go into. before going into that again though, see if the blades and ring move easily to open and close (you will need to poke around a little to find one of the places where you can push on the ring to turn it by hand). if they move easily, then they're okay and you don't need to take it apart again to clean that part. then you can concentrate on the bent parts.

egdinger

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it fixed. The problem was that the lever that selects if it is T or B was not getting under the rimset dial and causing the part that selects instant or Bulb/Time to get hung up on the lever that closes the shutter.

And my slow speeds are still off, but I think thats because the spring that goes into the 3 notches in the escapment is out of the notches.

But it really gives a great feeling when you figure it out and fix (mostly) it.

deny

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i suggest that you not tamper with the camera and try to find a qualified repairman for cameras and ask before that he examines it and tells you how much it will cost you. I have two nixes one of them has a problem wtih the shutter and I rather not touch it and will send it to a repair man. I live in France and we have speicalised people so Im sure that you will find someone qualified but ask before the price and write down the serial no written around the frame which holds the lens so that your lenses won't be switcher I suppose that it must be a Tessar 4.5. the other number is the serial number after Karl Zeiss Jena. Either you have the model which is 551 using a 118 spool or a 595 which uses 122 film like the Kodak 3a.
write back to me if you need more info at my email [email protected]
till soon and good luck with your camera :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration