Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EL2 top cover removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon EL2 top cover removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benny Stevens

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Today I received the shutter speed dial assembly that I ordered for my Nikon EL2. It comes complete with shutter speeds scale & needle (for the viewfinder) and wires to solder. Last time I dug into the camera I could not lift away the top cover because after removing all possible screws and parts I couldn't figure out where else it was still being held down firmly. I took off the shutter speed knob (R side) and the entire rewind/ASA scale assembly (L) and also the battery test button/lamp. Do I also need to remove the hot shoe on top of the prism, and how? Do I need to remove screws from inside the film chamber too? Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is top cover removal on EL2 similar to Canon A Series? With the A Series you have to remove trim around lens mount to reveal the two lower prism screws.

This is just a thought,because just done Google search and found plenty of references to people who were asking same question.Nobody gave the answer! In fact; most comments were of the nonsensical variety in the references I did looked at.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sketch for removing the top cover of the EL, I'd have thought the EL2 would be very similar. All I see on top is the wind lever, the shutter speed knob and the rewind knob (and the stuff underneath it).

How about the nameplate on the front of the prism?

: ) =

doug

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a ring below the shutter dial that also has to be removed, this is sometimes missed.

Benny Stevens

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did take off the nameplate and if I remember well the lens mount trim went under the prism cover instead of preventing the top to be removed. At my first attempt a month ago I had also dismantled the inners of the shutter speed knob to a point where it got messed up completely : the needle in the VF now shows other values now than those selected on top, and the selector even skips a value when I turn it (shame on me). I couldn't get it right again and ended up buying a 'NOS' unit on evilbay, which I want to install now. The bottom 'beauty' ring (around the knob) Doug mentions seemed to be a fixed part of the top cover, but perhaps I just missed a clue how to remove it. Another thing I discovered too late : the shutter release button + finger guard ring do NOT have to be removed to lift the top cover. Thanks a lot for all your input so far. Keep it coming please :-)

P Laskey

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only difference between an EL2 and the earlier EL is that the EL2 has an AI indexing ring round the lens mount, the EL has the old prong arrangement. I have an EL. If you would like some scans of pages from the Nikon Camera Repair Handbook about the EL please email me. These cameras are more complex than most Nikkormats!
P Laskey

Benny Stevens

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To P.Laskey : Thank you for your reply and for your kind offer to scan a couple of pages from your manual. I would indeed very much appreciate a scan or two by email (b-dot-stevens-at-skynet-dot-be), covering the removal of the camera top and its topside controls (shutter speed knob, film rewind/film speed control). Let me know if there is any cost involved and thank you very much in advance.

P Laskey

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Done!
PL

P Laskey

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I email, can I verify your email is "b (dot) stevens" etc, as this would normally be a dash?
PL

Benny Stevens

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PL, Yes b(dot)stevens(at)skynet(dot)be
Thank you so much for your help. I will report here after sunday's camera-surgery. I hope to have better luck than yesterday evening when I ruined a USD60.00 Komura lens :-(

Benny Stevens

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received PL's scans and a helpful sketch from Rick Oleson. Thank you so much !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration