Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electronical problem with Minolta XD7... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Electronical problem with Minolta XD7/11: no measurements, shutter stays open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Boris

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

after damaging my beloved XD7 with sea water, I bought a used replacement of same type. 2 weeks aftere buying, it's not working anymore though:

When half depressing the shutter release, a "running" light appears from bottom to top through all LEDs, ending in darkness. When fully depressing, the shutter opens, but doesn't close until I disconnect the batteries.

The problem is not 100% permanent though, there were short periods of time when it worked normally again.

So far, I tried new batteries, opened the camera to have a look, all resistors seem clean, couldn't find any obviously damaged part.

I read through the archives of the forum and seached a lot, but couldn't find anything helpful so far. So I am posting a new conversation now and hope for help, since I like this camera a lot. BTW, I still have the old (corroded) XD7 for spare parts.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Michael Linn

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the memory switch is making poor (intermittent) contact.

Boris

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply! I will have a look at it, I hope I manage to get to it, it seems to be quite "inside" the body.

Boris

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did some further analysis on the error: When I am in shutter priority mode ("S") and limit the aperture (setting another than 22), then there's no running lights, in fact then, there's no LED on at all... Does that help in any way?

Michael Linn

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Boris-

In S mode, you will get no LED lights unless the MD lens is set to it's smallest aperture.

Boris

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you say it! Well, I'll have to take out the memory switch then, won't I... I'm a little frightened of removing this very fine thread rotating the "film roll" where the shutter speeds are printed onto. But no way around it...

Thanks so far for the help!

Michael Linn

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually the XD has a very easy to reach memory switch (compared to most cameras), which can be cleaned in place after the top of the camera is removed. I'd clean the mode selector switch at the same time.

Don

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When an electronic shutter hangs open it can be a symptom of the capacitor shorting sw. not opening. Check from the top (cover off) by measuring continuity between the black wire on the circuit bd w/grd. You should get continuity w/the shutter cocked but none w/it released.

Boris

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Michael:
if I am not mistaken, the shutter has a pin on its bottom end, pushing a mechanism way down below the circuit board on which the mode switch and shutter speed dial is situated. All that I could reach I cleaned - without any improvement.

@Don:
Could you tell me which circuit board? The flexible one going across the prism? On there I find three black wires, two on the left and one on the right...

Thanks for your help, guys!

Boris

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally found the error, but I am not sure if it's typical. Anyhow, maybe it can help someone if I post it here:

There are 5 wires connecting the shutter circuit board to the flex circuit. When the shutter is assembled, these wires need to be bent pretty tightly, which probably was the reason why one or more of them broke right at the soldering joint. There was just enough cable length left to re-solder them, now everything's working fine again, only the re-assembly still has to be done...

Thank you very much for your assistance, this forum has proved very helpful! Special thanks to Michael!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration