Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon ce-4 film advance lever stuck.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Chinon ce-4 film advance lever stuck.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well iv justed started a photography a level course thing n were needing an old slr camera so i got this off of my grandad n all seems ok except the film advance lever doesnt go all the way so i can press the button to take a picture there isnt film in it but i remember him showing me it working before.... he said it needs batteries ? shud it need them before tht works ? the fram counter is on S and its a red S im new to this all so any ideas ?
can e-mail me at [email protected] or add me to msn ? would like to sort this out so i can use this camera lol for the monochrome pictures were gunna be doing

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I think the CE4 has an electronic shutter and needs batteries to operate. They don't affect the wind lever itself, but if the shutter is already cocked you can't move the lever until it fires. and for that, i think you need batteries.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the advance lever has not been forced,the movement you find is rotation to stand off position.Do as Rick says and put in the batteries it needs.If all is OK you should now be able to release shutter.

Camera uses three Alkaline LR 44 or Silver Oxide SR44 batteries.

The frame counter will return to S whenever the back door is opened.It does not depend on shutter being cocked or uncocked.

As you are doing A level course I take it you are in UK.If you do not have instruction books for this camera,email me direct with your address details.I have both books in vg condition and will post them off to you.They are no good to me,you might as well have them-I do not want anything for them.Also have very knocked about CE-4 for parts.Standard lens good,shutter release siezed.Works perfectly with PW-530 Winder.So if you need parts let me know,however I think your camera just needs batteries.

Luke

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well first of all Thanks guys, tomorrow ill head off in my lunch to get some batteries for the camera... fingers crossed i hope it then works lol otherwise i have to trape around carboot sales and so on looking for a cheap camera lol. again thanks, and i would like the books ill e-mail u the adress thanks alot rick and glenn

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

from your use of the term 'carboot sales' i guess you're in england? if so, and if the Chinon turns out to be dead, look for a Zenit. They are very cheap, very simple, very dependable and have good lenses - and while they're uncommon here in the US, i believe they are quite common in the UK.

Luke

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ahhh yes im in the U.K, do u think this chinnon camera is suitable ill prolly take it for the teacher to have a look at it ....

im doing work with monochrome pictures just like black n white stuff and he said old manual cameras r better.... but i spose well see when i take some pics with it .... loving the darkroom we have with the lightr trapping roating door.... its like somthing off of star trek lol

i think im really going to enjoy this.. first project is my environment looking forward to going to places i hang about to take pictures

Luke

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh and also im looking through this lens n it looks like its got sum crap on the inside sum specs ill have to ask my grandad about the camera he knows more than me

Luke

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

success the camera is working after i gave it my dad to tink with and clean up the battery terminals, they were mucky and wafter i brought the batteries i was oretty dissapointed tht it still didnt work but now big smiles all round tht its working wohoo!

rick

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

COOL!!!!!!

The crud that you see in the lens: Are you looking through the viewfinder, or did you remove the lens to look through it? If you're looking through the finder, don't worry about it: what you see is on the focusing screen and will not affect your photos.

If you're looking into the lens directly, the specks still will not hurt your photos unless there are just a ton of them. Use the camera, see what your results are like... my bet is they'll be fine.

glad you got it working. your teacher is right, the manual cameras ***ARE*** much better, there is no comparison between them and modern autofocus plastic crap.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration