Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miniature Screws Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Miniature Screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G. Dalitz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of a source of supply for 1.4mm.
and 1.7mm. c/s and round head screws, slotted or
Phillips head, with ISO thread ?

doug

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try www.micro-tools.com they have a selection of small screws.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has also been pointed out that suppliers of model railroad bits and pieces, are another source of small screws.Any proper model shop (not just a seller of plastic kits),will also have a selection.Micro-tools do list the required items.

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caution! As I have pointed out before, small metric screws vary in head design from country to country. They may thread into the part ok, but the shape of the head makes the repair disappointing. Personally, I am still looking for screws that will match those used on the old Leica cameras. Those from micro tools are no match.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It appears that the old Leitz screws are to the standards used by the optical industry of the time.They do not follow engineering standards.This is why the Leica lens thread is 39mm x 26tpi and not 39mm x 1mm.These optical standards were fairly universal,but as you have found not used now for screw head dimensions.

Simplest way of obtaining replacements, is to modify the head of a suitable modern screw.Turning up replacements is a real pain;so using watch makers lathe I reshape the heads,using small diamond wheel toolpost grinder.If you use a stainless screw,a fine 'grit'blast leaves a finish akin to matt chrome.

Find your local Model Engineering Society,somebody there will be able to help.

David Ritchie

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glen, this is the best explanation that I have seen other than what I noted earlier. Since these screws were used by the optical industry at the time, would their use be confined to Germany or possibly Europe, or would they have been used in the USA also? If one could find an old optical shop, would you expect to possibly find some of these screws?

Jonathan

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloody hell Glenn, you are a madman...

(I say that out of 100% admiration)

Though I am proud to say my girlfriend suggested we look for a watchmaker's lathe today! Maybe we can be mad too someday.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

What you are looking for is somebody/a company that dealt in microscope/other optical instrument repairs or manufacture.Microscopy is or I should say was another of my specialities.Our lab had some very old stuff pushed into cupboards-lab started in 1899 so not unexpected.Over a period I restored these to exhibit in Public Areas/Conference Rooms etc,so did a bit of research into manufacture/standards etc.

Mostly done to the old RMS standards,originally for microscope lens mounts,these did expand into screw threads and nut/head forms.They were certainly used by most major names in the industry.How these standards crossed borders is not really clear,I think it had more to do with Trade Associations than any embryonic National Standards Organisation.The bicycle industry had similar methods of standardisation and I am sure other examples can be found.

Will you find supplies?Problem is this,the head form will follow the general rules/measurement ratio but thread may not be universal.eg 1/8" nominal diameter screw mushroom headed.Head dimensions will generally be the same in UK,Germany,France etc,but the thread may not be.In UK could have nearest BA or 1/8"Whit Fine,in Germany you could have nearest metric fine.Or you can find RMS across the board.

Jonathan,

Depending what neck of the woods you live in,there are other small lathes available.The Petol Lathe is a little modular item that is good for small camera work,of UK origin I think.The Sheerline Lathe from the US is another small well priced item.

If you can get a genuine watchmakers lathe complete with collets, you will be laughing.A toolpost grinder is easy to lash up.My original one was a Dremel, held onto an aluminium base cum handle by an exhaust clamp.

Jonathan

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen a few small lathes for ridiculous prices, like a couple of thousand new zealand dollars, and it's not worth that much to me at the moment. However, I'll keep looking, and one of these days an opportunity will appear.

Hopefully a kindly watchmaker will give me one one day!

David Ritchie

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, I have found it a little to the contrary. I have obtained metric screws from two sources here in USA, and the threads fit the female threads in the Leica llla I was working on, but the shape of the head was entirely different. I have been looking for a junk Russian Leica copy that I have been told used exact copies of the German screws.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Mail me direct with your address and I will send you some Fed/Zorki screws.These are not fit to use as replacements because the slots are worn, but you can look at the head and see if they fit.Problem is most junk copies have got butchered screw-heads.A while ago I purchased a job lot of eight Zorki 1 bodies and out of all the external body screws,only found sixteen with good slots.

How many unmangled screws do you want?Cannot promise,but may be able to find a cameras worth.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I should also have added that I am not surprised with your head findings.There was more uniformity in period 1900/1939.During period of both World Wars the UK issued standards that reduced the amount of metal in screw/bolt heads for engineering use.Saving precious materials obviously.Do not know if this extended into the miniature screws of that period.

From 50s onwards we seem to get more and more variation in the heads of standard screws used in photographic and electronic equipment.This even happened within a given company.The screw-heads on all later model FED/Zorki are larger than the heads on the 1 series.I learnt this the hardway,buying a box of series 3/4 FED and Zorki via eBay.I was hoping to salvage some screws,no bloody chance all heads to big!Still I did get a stack of mount shims and a number of take-up spools.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration