Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacing a shutter (yashica FR) Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Replacing a shutter (yashica FR) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douglas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a couple broken Yashicas and my goal is to get a working FR. One end of one of the shutter curtains came loose. I basically want to put the metal shutter system from another yashica (FX) in the FR. Alternatively I'll fix a broken FX and figure a way to rig a DOF preview.

My question is is the former possible. You don't have to explain how if you don't want to - I can just mess around till I get it right.

rick

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no way to put a metal blade shutter into a camera that was designed to have a cloth shutter.

Douglas

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it's not just transplanting the shutter. I just need to figure out how much of the innards I have to transplant. I haven't got the cameras opened yet becuase I need to go get some screwdrivers, but I'll post what I'm thinking once I compare the insides of the FR, FX 103, FX-3, and FX-D.

Ron

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You want to put a mechanically-operated, vertical metal shutter mechanism into a camera with a horizontal electronically-controlled cloth shutter mechanism? No, I don't think it's possible, myself. But, if you succeed in this, please let us know because I for one want to see how you did it, really!

Fixing the loose cloth shutter curtain on the FR would be a lot simpler, of course.

Your alternate plan (fix a broken FX-3 and figure a way to rig a DOF preview) has been done already. See: http://www.f-ms.de/photo/fx3.html

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact that the FX and FR have no common body castings, should tell you all you want to know!Manufactures do not go to the expense of completely retooling for fun.

The only logical approach to this would be to mill away all excess material on the FX,thus leaving a working shutter 'module'.A reverse procedure on the FR will be needed to fit module inside.

If you had bothered to buy your screwdrivers before drifting off to dream land,you would see that operation is completely impossible.

More to the point why?You can repair your two bodies and have both working.If on the otherhand your dream camera has something that the other two are missing,go out and look for a ready built model with this facility.It will be out there somewhere and more to the point it will work

rick

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, you are thinking in the right basic direction: the blade shutter, unlike the cloth shutter, DOES exist as a self-contained, replaceable module. You would probably have to remove all shutter components from the FR, then mill the main body casting to correspond to the mounting requirements of the shutter. Then, though, you would need to create the linkages to make the mirror mechanism fire the shutter, and to send the shutter-closed signal from the shutter back to tell the mirror to return. I think those are going to be the real toughies, because you don't have blueprints for either camera (much less for a combination of the two) and you have to sort of think in three dimensions to design and machine the parts.

the Guys on Bald Mountain could probably do it....

: ) =

Douglas

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link Ron. I might just do that because I realized right away that I can push that lever and basically have the camera I am trying to make. Although transplanting the blade shutter would be a challenging project, I don't have the ability to fabricate unique parts (I'm away at college). I might still take the shutters out of both and see how they compare, but my final camera will probably be a FX with a dof preview.

Thanks for the ideas.

rick

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that would certainly be an interesting project in itself (removing the shutters and comparing them). if these are basically 'parts cameras', i recommend doing that and seeing how they're built.

rick : ) =

Michael Linn

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An FX-D with a depth of field preview, plus f-stops visible in the finder, TTL flash metering, double exposure switch, etc. already exists. It's the Contax 139. You can buy a good used one for a lot less than your proposed project will cost.

Glen

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That Contax 139Q is a sweet little camera. But one in really excellent cosmetic/operating condition will still run close to $180-200 25 years later, people know how reliable and well-made they are, so they hold their resale value well.

Michael Linn

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, "sweet" is the right word for the 139. I've owned hundreds of cameras (uh, I still do) and the 139 is the one that has stood the test of time. Yes, I have a complete slr autofocus system, but when I actually get to go on vacation and take pictures, my camera bag has two 139's plus accessories and lenses.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think remachining an FR to accept an FX shutter would likely cost more than $180-200.

but i haven't actually DONE it.....

: ) =

rick_oleson

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the way, ron (going way back up th about the 4th post)... that DOF preview addition was a pretty neat job. thanks for that link!

Glen

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I think remachining an FR to accept an FX shutter would likely cost more than $180-200. but i haven't actually DONE it"

No arguments there! I was thinking of the cost of adding the DOF preview to the FX-3 vs. cost of buying a Contax 139. But - if you don't have the tools, maybe it still doesn't make sense.

Also, that old method of releasing the lens lock on the camera and partially rotating it for a stopped-down view wouldn't cost anything.

Ron

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yer welcome, Rick. But all credit goes to Mr. Schüngel and his methodical brain for his invention.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration