Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Walz auxiliary rangefinder - how to a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Walz auxiliary rangefinder - how to adjust « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Todd Erickson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a near mint condition Walz auxiliary rangefinder however it needs to be calibrated for infinity. I cannot determine where the calibration screw is hidden. There is a smooth black (bakelite?) cap over the center of the rangefinder dial but it doesnt appear to be removeable. This is where I've seen most adjustment screws for other makes (Watameter, Medis etc). There are no other visible screws. I've tried undoing the end caps but they dont budge. If anyone's ever made adjustments on this kind of rangfinder - or just take one apart to clean it I'd certainly appreciate some advice.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The end caps unscrew. After you remove the cap on the right side (viewed from the back) you will see a hole in a metal cylinder. Insert a small bar or screwdriver into the hole and turn the cylinder to adjust the reflected image position.
http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/walzrf/adjust1.jpg

To disassemble, pry off the black cap in the center of the dial and then unscrew the center piece using a spanner in the two holes. The inner assembly will slide out of the case.

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/walzrf/endcaps.jpg

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/walzrf/allparts.jpg

Todd Erickson

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thanks Dan. That's exactly the kind of info I needed. I guess mine isn't near mint however since my endcaps dont have the plaques that are shown on yours. There's no adhesive residue so never expected there to have been anything there. I'll have to get a firmer grip with some rubber and try again to unscrew the endcaps. Until now the only pictures of this RF is is the picture of the one on your Agfa (and my own of course). For the sake of others perhaps there'll be a link in the future to this info from your "Collecting and Fixing Old Cameras" index page.

As an aside I'm hoping to find another one of these, it's a pretty decent design esp for use with eyeglasses. Many others have the RF dial and exposed adj screw so close the the eyepiece that they tend to scratch glasses. The adjusment dial on my Watameter is so easy to accidentally move that I need to re-calibrate it almost every time I use it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration