Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax SP1000 - stuck exposure counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax SP1000 - stuck exposure counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gareth

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just bought a second hand Pentax SP1000. It seems to work, but the exposure counter is stuck at 36, and doesn't reset when the back is opened. Is there anything obvious I can look at, or should I take it in for repair? Thanks!

rick

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is usually caused by dirt. Since in the Spotmatic a fair part of this mechanism is sitting up on top of the wind lever, you may be luckier than most. Try loosening the 3 set screws around the sides of the counter, lifting off the lid, and then applying a drop or two of cigarette lighter fluid into the space under the dial, and see if this improves things.

There is a sketch of the Spotmatic top cover stuff here: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-113.html but with luck you won't need to go farther than the cover over the frame counter.

Gareth

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated.

I discovered last night I can reset it by pushing a flat bladed screwdriver into the gap the camera back normally pushes into when closed, but hopefully I can cure it permanently, so I'll look at it today.

One more question; I did try to dismantle the frame counter before, but couldn't work out how to remove the retaining ring underneath (with the indentation either side, but the shaft in the middle). If I have to, how is this best removed?

Thanks,

G

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's interesting - is the back bent, or is there any indication of why it wouldn't be going far enough into the slot to trip the counter lever?

You may have to remove the cover to look at the reset mechanism.

The little retaining ring requires a spanner with fairly small square points. You can either get a commercial spanner, or you can grind the points of a needle nose plier to the proper size and shape. Use special caution with the retaining ring, as Pentax switched from a RH to a LH thread during Spotmatic production so yours might turn either direction.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may be just old light seal blocking the way. I had that happen once with one of my spotmatics. It too would not reset when I opened the door. Throughly clean all residues of old light seal. There may be also be gunk from old seals stuck behind the little piece of metal that is pushed in when the door is closed.

G

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks - I fixed it.

The counter spring had come loose (basically, one end was pointing at the back of the camera). I pulled it taut and pushed it back into the body - it now works fine, but I'll probably get it serviced professionally soon anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration