Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bronica ETR - Lens shutter cocking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Bronica ETR - Lens shutter cocking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leo Gottfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an ETR on Ebay - to my dismay the camera is not working
as suposed. I have a question for Bronica users.
In order to take the lens off, the camera (and lens) must be cocked - when taking
the lens off the camera the leaf shutter should remain open all the
time?
Mine is not - I can cock it manually when outside the body and then install it back on the
body.
Only when i cock the lens outside and install it on the body it seems
to operate in the speed shown on the body. (only for one shot... If not cocked outside the
leaf shutter closes before the mirror gets out of the way and no
exposure in achieved.
Can anybody confirm this from his / her experience?
Thanks
Leo

paul ron

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked the battery?

Ben Micklem

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery is the prime suspect.

I'm confused about what is happening when you take off the lens- does it close or fire the shutter as you are removing it?

The shutter closing is the first stage of the process of making an exposure with a lens shutter SLR (it is supposed to be closed before the mirror moves). It then opens and closes after the mirror is up. On these electronically timed Bronicas, if they have a flat battery, they fire at 1/500 (their top speed)- I think that's right anyway.

It is most likely to be a flat battery which is causing the shutter to fire faster than you can see. This doesn't explain why the shutter is tripped as you remove the lens though.

paul ron

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll never know what the problem is because Leo hasn't been back in a long while... anyway...

He can check to see if the body is cocking properly by taking the lens off and checking to see if the green dots align as he cocks the body. Perhaps the advancing mechanism is not making it all the way so the lens is not locking at full cocking position and the lens fires as he takes it off? Maybe his advance mechanism gear striped. Bronica does have replacements for it.

Leo

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK... Thanks for your notes...
Battery was installed fresh and the testing diode lights as it is suposed to do. Let's drop the battery subject.
Lets explain some scenarios..
1) Lens is on the camera, multiple shot is set (the lever is in horizontal position), crank is turned all the way. In this case the body cocks but the lens don't - the pins on the lens retreat to the uncocked position when lens is taken of the camera. If the lens in cocked manually outside the camera and then installed on the cocked body you get a correct exposure but only if the multiple exposure lever remains in horizontal position.
If the lever is moved to single exposure there is no release of the body or the lens, in fact you cannot press the release button all the way.
2) If the multiple exposure level is set to single shot, with the lens on or off the camera, you are able to wind the whole roll of film in one time since there is nothig that stops the cranking / windindg mechanism. With the lever in single exposure (vertical) there is no cocking of body or lens even if it was cocked before.
In single exposure there is no way to press the release button as if the camera was not cocked at all.
Thank you for your input

Bruce Owsley

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

advance mech in body is not working. i had to have one replaced on my ETR. common on a very heavly used ETR.

Nick Parker

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The way it should work:
In multi exposure - (lens and body MUST be assembled in cocked posotioned)Release button pushed. Mirror lifts. Shutter closes. Apeture stops down. Shutter opens then closes. Winding crank is operated to reset mechanism using ratchet assembly to stop crank in correct position. Film winding gear is disengeged during whole process.
In single exposure - Release button pushed. Mirror lifts. Shutter closes. Apeture stops down. Shutter opens and closes. Winding crank is operated to reset mechanism and wind film. Signal pin in film back tells body when film wind is complete and to prevent further crank movement.
The ETR is a mechanical camera. It does not have an electronic release. If the battery is flat or not present the shutter should fire at 1/500. It uses a magnet to govern the shutter speeds.
Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration