Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM lock-up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon EM lock-up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if anyone can help me with my locked up EM?

The batteries are good, they measure correctly and the battery test light works, but the shutter won't fire and the wind on lever won't turn, not on B, M90 or Auto. The mirror is in the upright position. Flicking the small lever just to the left of the mirror allows it to drop. Pressing the shutter release then lifts the mirror again but the shutter doesn't fire.

The film rewind clutch on the baseplate doesn't want to return to it's normal position, and so the film take-up spool turns freely in both directions.

I recieved the camera in this condition, so can't say whether anything unusual preceded this state. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Mike Pettitt.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a guess, it sounds like the lever from the mirror mechanism that trips the shutter is either dislocated or not pushing hard enough. I haven't looked at the shutter of the EM, but I assume it has a little trigger that's struck by a lever on the mirror box, like other metal blade FP shutters I've seen. I HAVE had the mirror box out of the EM, so I probably should know these things, but... well, sorry. Anyway, I do have sketches for getting to the shutter and having a look, if you'd like to see them.

The rewind release is not going to return until you are again able to wind the shutter, this is normal.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience, just about everything that goes wrong with this camera is electronic. I would take off the top plate and start looking at the flex connect strip. (Wow...that sounds like the professor in "Back to the Future" talking about the flux capacitor)

Anyway, the flex circuit strip in these has a way of cracking with age...it is bent at an acute angle heading up and over the pentaprism. If this happens, all sorts of weird things occur.

Not an easy fix...you have to bridge the breaks with tiny wires and some tricky soldering, but it can be done.

Good luck.
Jon

Mike

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I'll think I'll give both idea's a try. Rick, would it be possible to email me those sketches? And Jon, if it was electronic, wouldn't M90 work? I thought this was a purely mechanical setting for when your batteries die.

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to ask; Jon, how do I get the wind lever/shuuter release assy. off to get the top plate off? I'll check the flux capacitor like you said.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mike.
M90 should work...you might find some clues under the bottom cover, too. To remove the wind lever, look for a small grub screw on the perimeter of the ring on top of that lever. Loosen it, and unscrew that ring by turning it clockwise..the opposite direction you would think you need to turn it. I think it is a reverse turn screw, that is. There is a spring clip around a collar on the rewind knob side. You'll need to work carefully to remove that.
Jon

Mike

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jon. I hate to fall at the first hurdle but my ring doesn't seem to have a grubscrew on it. Is this the collar that surrounds the shutter release button? Might it just unscrew? Id so, it seems very tight. Any suggestions as to an appropriate tool to use?

I've had the bottom plate off already, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

Thanks,

Mike.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Mike. It should have a grubscrew...they are tiny, but normally there. The grubscrew acts as a locking mechanism to keep the ring from turning. Yes, you are looking at the right ring. There are a number of ways to get a good grip to turn it. Normally, I find using a common faucet washer to be a good one. I look for one with a large enough hole in the center that it will go over the shutter release button and then I press down on the ring for friction. Some people will use double-sided tape...press one side to the ring. The other side will be sticky, and you can use that to get the grip you need. If you have rubber-jawed pliers, you can use these, but be careful not to squeeze on the ring too much. It is not made of high quality metal, and it is easily bent or distorted. The grub screw is on the side of it...on the perimeter...not on top. Keep looking and see if you can find a hole where it used to be or where it is recessed or where it is flush and just hiding. My experience has been until that screw is removed, you'll not get that ring unscrewed. If you need an image, please tell me...I still have an EM here somewhere, and I can make you one.
Good luck,
Jon

Mike

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Jon. Your descriptions are perfect, but I still can't find the grubscrew! I'm sure your image would match your description, but could you send me one if you get a spare few minutes? I've checked and checked again, but there is no sign of a grubscrew or a hole it may have once lived in. But something must be holding the thing on because it won't budge.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes...let me charge the battery in my little Sony.
Jon

Mike

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strangely, my wind lever didn't have a grub screw, but I finally dismantled it and removed the mirror box. The problem seemed to be a lever on the top left of the shutter as viewed from the front. This is meant to reset the mirror after the shutter fires, but mine was sticking. I freed it up with Ronsonol, and it seems fine now.

A big thank you to Rick Oleson and Jon Goodman for their help and advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration