Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Re-threading release cable hole Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Re-threading release cable hole « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Gray

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently bought a Balda Baldessa 1a with an Isco-Goettingen lens, f2.8 I think (it's not to hand). It's one of my better charity shop finds, and mostly works rather well - as one might expect for a 1950s camera the slow shutter speeds are a bit sluggish & likewise the self-timer, but otherwise it's pretty good.

However there is no thread in the hole under the shutter release for a cable release. Is it possible to find a tap to re-cut these, or is it better left alone?

Adrian

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had at least one cable release that was threaded straight rather than tapered, and it was interchangeable with the tapered type. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I do have some miscellaneous odds & ends, and I see that an American #4-40 screw will go into a cable release socket and take hold.... so I think you might be in luck. With the tapered tip on the cable, the diameter of your socket should not be too critical, and if the next tap size larger than your existing hole is not too large for the cable I think you can probably tap it through at a 40 thread per inch pitch and get it to work. I think 40-pitch taps are made in #4 and #6, and if you can find one, #5. If you're not in the USA, the nearest metric thread appears to be M3x.5, but the pitch there is a little fine (I don't have any handy to try); an M3.5x.6 might work, if the diameter isn't too large for the cable end.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

I think your straight threaded release may originally been part of a Leica type release.If you remove the threaded cap by unscrewing the sleeve nut,you will be left with a cable release with a straight threaded nipple.On the five examples of foreign manufacture I have removed the caps from, the thread is metric.A friends UK made example is BA threaded.

A while ago, I was trying to find a suitable taper tap for fitting cable releases on three projects.Having discovered I could obtain these straight threaded items,my projects have been tapped with normal metric taps.The two pieces of kit that have been sold on, were supplied with a couple of the modified releases.A spare being included just in case.

The above may be the simplest solution for Adrian.Ffordes Photographic (01463 783850) can supply Leica releases, if he does not know of a local supplier.As we are both in UK he can contact me for more information, if the need arises.

Glenn.

rick

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, it wasn't. If I recall correctly, it came with a Bolex movie camera, which seemed to have a matching, non-tapered socket. I could use the straight release with other cameras, and a tapered release with the Bolex. I don't have it any more, though, so I can't measure it.

What I did do is drill and tap a 4-40 hole in a sheet of .040" brass; all 3 of my standard cable releases will work in this. They also will work in a 6-32 tapped hole. The tapered thread is very forgiving.

Adrian

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your suggestions, gentlemen. I shall keep an eye out for a straight Leica-type release and if that doesn't work when I find one I've now got plenty of other options.

Adrian

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I had known about the Bolex item when I was doing my original search.Google has revealed an eBay picture of a Bolex release-Normal eBay pic,tells you damn all!However I have not turned up any manufacturers specification.

Glenn.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration