Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Distagon for Rollei SL35: stick... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss Distagon for Rollei SL35: sticky aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

GanjaTron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've got a Zeiss Distagon 2.8/25mm with bayonet mount for the Rollei SL35 et al. GREAT lens. Unfortunately its aperture seems to have gummed up and is sluggish when I press the plunger on the lens mount.

As far as I can tell after removing the bayonet ring, the plunger spring which actuates the aperture lever is weak and needs adjusting, only there's no easy way to get at it. The aperture blades themselves are clean and show no signs of gumming.

I assume this is a common problem with these lens, so I'm sure somebody's gone about fixing this. I'm a bit apprehensive about dismantling it, however, and there's no apparent way to do so after removing the bayonet ring. All I see are two lacquered screws for the infinity setting, and I don't feel like messing with those. Any way to open this baby up without misadjusting the focus?

Any help appreciated!

--Roland

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before assuming the spring is weak, I would check further into cleanliness: there are other things that can get gummed up besides the blades, particularly the actuating ring that drives the blades.

I haven't worked on this particular lens, so I can't help with specifics. Access might be from the front, though, rather than the rear...

GanjaTron

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no visible signs of gumming, tho as you point out the actuating ring could be a culprit. To check it I'd have to completely dismantle the aperture down to the blades.

There's no apparent way to open up the front (no notched ring). I guess you remove the infinity screws and the whole helical comes out. God knows if I'll get it back together, tho...

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be very careful when rebending springs in auto aperture mechanisms. Sometimes they are matched to other parts of this mechanism (including the actuating mechanism inside the camera), and it may happen that the whole mechanism does not work correctly after changing the power of a spring.

Even if there are no visible signs of oil or grease on the aperture blades they actually may be gummed up. This is a common fault of auto aperture lenses and can be cured by cleaning the blades.

GanjaTron

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I give in... I'll rip it apart. :^)

But pray tell, how??? Obviously Zeiss wanted to discourage anyone from fiddling with their stuff, so there are no set screws or rings to remove from the outside. Maybe it's something tricky requiring a friction tool, but I'm not gonna force this baby. I'll look at this more closely tomorrow & let you know. Meanwhile, thanks for the replies.

--Roland

GanjaTron

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've removed the infinity screws and *&[email protected] the focus, but the damn helical won't simply screw out because it's still coupled to the aperture ring on the outside. I would imagine the lens has a rear section which is screwed on seamlessly, requiring a special friction tool to take it apart. Attempting this without the right tools will definitely destroy the lens.

I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and leave this to a pro, only he'll most likely charge more than the frigging lens is worth...

aidan piers

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi GanjaTron,

Somewhere I have exploded factoy drawings of 1970's Zeiss lenses for Rollei SLR's. I know for sure that I have drawings for the Planar 1,4/50 and the 1,8/50. It will take a week or two to dig them out and see what I really do have, but if you are interested, let me know and I could perhaps mail something to you.

GanjaTron

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi aidan,

thanks, but I've now taken the lens to a pro along with my Distagon 1.4/35mm. I've seen the exploded diags of the Planar 1.8/50 in Prochnow's Rollei Technical Report, and they didn't help much. According to the repair guy, the Distagons differ considerably in their construction from the Planars. Particularly the 1.4/35mm is radically different from any of the other Zeiss lenses (triangular aperture!) and extra nasty to dismantle and service.

Regards,

--Roland

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration