Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sonnar lens - milky Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Sonnar lens - milky « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is how I would describe the opacity of an otherwise beautiful 1930's 2/85 Contax lens I intend to use with my Kiev 4a.

Is this a condition I'll have to live with or is it possible that some particular lens cleaning effort may improve it? Also, would it be less inconvenient when shooting B&W? Many thanks for any comments.

Marco

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, maybe "cloudy" is another possible description of the problem (just made a search for this word in the Forum). Doesn't look as if it were some deposit or layer to be wiped off. More like it is inside the glass - hope not, but that's what it looks like.

rick

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I've seen this very much in Zeiss lenses but I've seen it in Schneiders of that era. In these, it was something like an oxidation coating on the surfaces of the glass, and it could be wiped away with firm pressure on a soft cloth without causing scratches. It did require disassembly to get to the inner surfaces.

It could also be cloudiness in the cement between elements, in which case there is no easy fix. I've seen some of that too.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This lens will come apart like a Jupiter 9. Go to http://www3.telus.net/public/kaylalyn/index.html for lots of Kiev data, including a strip-down of a J9. If it's just normal fog/crud you can clean it out.
Or you could send your lens to Henry Scherer (http://www.zeisscamera.com/). He did a great job on my wartime 8.5cm Sonnar.

Marco

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many many thanks, Rick and Mark for comments and implicit encouragement... I'll brave a visit inside and, whilst in there, shall do some glass cleaning and appreciate better the nature and extent of the problem. It is an uncoated prewar 8,5 cm Jena lens, made around 1937 - this may be its first lube job in nearly 70 years!
Absolutely great The Kiew Survival Site - disassembly will take place beside the keyboard and facing the screen...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration