Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 SLR shutter release button ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon A-1 SLR shutter release button - cosmetic repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

W. S. Scott Boyd

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon A-1, 100% mint EXCEPT the little round black plastic flattened donut shaped bit ( I can send a photo) that fits on / around the female threaded cable release has 'gone away'. There are NO local repair shops. All others offered to fix it for free if I paid for a complete CLA ($80 - $150 with postage). One did sell me a whole 'new' replacement assembly for ~ $7. I don't want to risk damaging this mint SLR. Can any one give me idiot-resistant directions on how to swap the bits ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole button assembly just unscrews anticlockwise.However it can be tight and the only way to remove,if finger pressure and a thin piece of rubber sheet or a rubber bung do not loosen,is to purchase a flexiclamp from Micro Tools.You can make your own out of 1/8 inch plastic sheet,for a one off application.As you are replacing the damaged assembly you can use a small hose clamp to loosen it.DO NOT use a hose clamp on a mint, undamaged assembly-you will mark it.

Note that with button removed the shutter switch actuating rod is loose.It will fall out if you invert the camera.

If your 'new' assembly is marked on the painted ring,all you need to do is remove the plastic infill with a razor blade and just glue it back on your camera with a dab of epoxy, no disassembly needed.You remove the button from the shroud ring by breaking off the metal tag.This then allows you to slide the blade under the plastic infill without damaging same.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration