Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

New balls, please! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » New balls, please! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lars

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If, like me, You like to tinker with old cameras and lenses, You have probably also done the same mistake as I have. You carefully (or so You think) dismantle an SLR lens. You lift the apperture ring, and PING! one small steel ball is lost forever.
What do You do now! Well, You can always order new ball bearings from Micro Tools or the like. But You have to order quite a lot of them in order to reach their minimum order value. Or You can throw away the lens.
No, dispair not. Help is closer than You think. Right inside Your computer in fact. What You need is an old discarded 3.5" diskette drive. At the small end of the worm gear that moves the magnetic heads, there is a tiny ball bearing containing up to 7 small steel balls of just the right size. What You should look for are drives from Citizen, Teac and Sony. Older drives are generally better than new ones. I have used these to fix lenses made by Pentax, Canon, Konica, Topcon and a number of third party lenses.
In the same diskette drive You may also find other useful parts like springs and screws.
So there You are. A free tip for You all.

John Nunn

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lars. Also in a hard drive you will find a powerful magnet or two to help stop loosing those little balls.

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

However if the balls themselves become magnetized they will attract any steel chips that arew around.

rick

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and may lead to other health problems.....

John Nunn

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! Now I am really concerned, But maybe not, after all how much magnetism can a tiny ball bearing hold to cause a problem? Does the magnetism eventually diminish with time? I wonder.I don't want to lead anyone into dire straits.

Lars

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those of You who wish to discuss health related problems, will probably find other web sites more interesting.
Lets stick to the subject!

Henry

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any tinkerer who has been tinkering very long has a magnetize/de-magnetize thingie. Cheap yet priceless when the need arises at 11PM on Sunday night...prime tinkering time around here!

I have one tweezer that is a delight to use yet it mysteriously gets magnetized. I suspect alien abduction... Anybody have a clue?

Thanks for the heads up on the little-tiny ball source. Got an old 3.5 floppy drive in the attic.

Henry

WernerJB

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This first class tip about a source for steel balls should have appeared two days earlier, as it would then have saved me from creeping through my study looking for that damn thing !
On reassembling a Fujica Compact Deluxe (there are two such balls inside the lens barrel of each one of those cameras) it had jumped off my desk maybe because it had been caught by a magnetized pair of scissors !?) and, as other tiny objects of that kind, mysteriously disappeared into nowhere although I use a plastic mat to prevent this. After a painful hour it reappeared under a bookshelf and was then put back to where it belonged.
Thanks again for the splendid tip !

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just detected another source for these balls: inside every nasal spray container with a manually operated pump there is a non-return valve which contains one tiny steel ball and a small but sturdy steel coil spring, both items can serve as or easily be turned into replacement parts.

Nick

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes dropping the magnetized part can demagnatize it. Works well on tweezers.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration