Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM2 auto exposure meter question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus OM2 auto exposure meter question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an OM2 and the meter does not seem to be working ...switch is set to auto...I have checked the batteries and they are OK.

Should I choose to get it fixed, is it an expensive repair?

Anything I can try to get it going?

Don

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also meant to ask...is it possible the auto focus feature still works, but the meter is just nonfunctioning?

rick

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, please explain exactly what you mean.

In the OM2, there are 2 totally separate exposure systems. The needle in the viewfinder is driven by 2 CdS cells next to the eyepiece.... this takes care of manual mode, and also gives you a general idea of the speed you're going to get in Auto.

But the speed in Auto mode is actually SET by a silicon cell in the floor of the mirror box. This cell is facing backwards and looks at light reflecting off of the film surface (or in the case of fast shutter speeds where there isn't much film to look at, it looks at the pattern of dots on the first shutter curtain).

It is possible for the viewfinder display to be dead and the camera to still work perfectly otherwise, in both Manual and Auto modes.

Also, if you "test" the Auto shutter speeds without film in the camera you will get erratic, inaccurate (slow) speeds. This is because there is no film for the silicon cell to look at, so it's trying to read the light reflecting off of the glossy black pressure plate.... and there ain't much light reflecting off of a glossy black pressure plate.

Don

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Neither auto or manual setting the needle does not seem to work...

You see this is exactly why I asked the pros....I have never had film in this camera and did not think it would make a difference.There appears to be specs of debris when looking through the viewfinder - and why I have yet to load any film...fearing they will appear on the photographs themselves.

What is the best method to clean the inside of the camera - and what exactly do I need to clean - the spots are not inside the lens - I removed it and they are still there. I will wait for cleaning tips, then load film and post results...
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

rick

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Specks that you see inside the viewfinder will NOT appear on the film. They are inside the viewfinder and will do no harm. Leave them alone, at least for now.... you could cause harm to the camera by trying to remove them.

If the meter needle does not work, it will not work in manual and auto mode alike, as you have seen. This does not mean that the CAMERA does not work. The easiest way to find out is to buy a cheap roll of color print film and try to shoot it.

There is a good set of instructions for the OM2 at http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/om2/index.htm

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration