Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC Meter Calibration - PX6... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus 35 RC Meter Calibration - PX625 Batt. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I would like to recalibrate the meter on my Olympus 35 RC to use the alkaline PX625 batteries. The plan is to use my Gossen Luna-Pro F and gray card for reference, then adjust by rotating the galvanometer on the bottom of the camera. Question is - Are there any negative consequences in doing this? Or should I be dealing with this from the voltage perspective and doing the resistor/diode mod? (similar to the battery adapter.) Thanks.

Will

Stefan Peil

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Will, I don´t recommend to recalibrate the 35RC for use with alkaline batteries, because the voltage changes during the batterie´s lifetime. I use zinc-air 675 cells in my 35RC. The voltage is nearly the same as that of a mercury batterie and does not change with time. But: Put a new battery in every 3 months, the self-discharge of this type of battery is very high. Anyhow, the batteries are cheap as they are used in hearing-aids.
Stefan

charlie

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have used the 675 batteries in several cameras with good results. They are less than $1 when on sale.

Ben Micklem

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Will,

Like the others, I use 675 Zinc-Air batteries in my 35RC. I found that the discharge is not as fast as the usual 3 months- maybe the camera's battery compartment has less air flow than a hearing aid? I think it was about 9 months before I had to replace it. The meter is accurate, and the batteries are very cheap (£4GBP for 6).

I have a short section of a rubber band around the battery to stop it rattling around (maybe this increased the battery life by reducing the amount of air getting in?), and I had to bend up slightly the contact at the bottom of the compartment.

Will

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Stefan, Charlie and Ben. I will leave it alone and unmod'd and use the 675 zinc air batts.

Thanks again,

Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration