Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

A Foinix turret viewfinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » A Foinix turret viewfinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just bumped into not one but four! of these. Great shape, maybe unused, all with their leather cases. Unfortunately all four are very dim. There's one for sale at eB**, seller speaks wonders of it. I already picture one on top of my also pretty Kiev 4. Wonder why I didn't act out of impulse. Could Foinix (Phoenix?) be a transliteration from Greek to German?
Are turret viewfinders easy to clean or repair? Will be thankful for any advice.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foinix was a trademark by a small german early post-war camera manufacturer, Karl Foitzik. He manufactured some crude 35mm viewfinder cameras after he had to give up his plans to make a Leica clone camera.

There were quite a few turret viewfinders made in Germany in the early 50s. I have a Wedena finder originally made for the Lordox cameras.

Usually these finders are not hard to disassemble. I also have a Braun finder made by Steinheil where the cement of the reversal prisms is foggy, I have to disassemble and reglue them some day.

When disassembling the reversal prisms make notes how they come apart - there were some strange prism arrangements of loose prisms where it is not easy to figure out how they have to be assembled.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to a (unfortunately german) site about the history of Foitzik:

http://www.intrinet.de/freizeit/wochenendjournal/art944,715303.html

It mentions that there was a small production of the Foizika and Unca cameras with interchangeable lenses which had to be given up due to a lawsuit filed by Leitz. Probably this finder was designed for these cameras.

Those rare german turret finders usually sell for rather high prices. I was quite surprised that the seller of my Wedena finder only asked for 30EUR but I think the Foinix finder will be much more expensive.

Marco

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Winfried - I'm off now, hoping not to have missed the chance to find at least one of these.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration