Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

GLENN Middleton...mercy !! OM 40 Olympus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » GLENN Middleton...mercy !! OM 40 Olympus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

zygiozi

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OM 40 shutter/mirror stuck when has been directed 2-3 sec,to a sun being set up on B ..No trace of power ,batteries ok. How to free mechanism from cocked state and what could gone wrong? Zygi

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Zygi but I but I have never used or been inside any of the OM series cameras, so am unable to offer specific help.However I know from previous posts that there are some very experienced OM experts on this Forum.They will soon sort you out.

I hope that you managed to sort your other problems out.

Glenn.

rick

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't think of anything that pointing the camera at the sun could do to cause this to happen. If you're sure the batteries are OK, maybe a wire or solder joint happened to fail at that moment.

I've been inside some OMs (mostly OM1, some OM2), but the OM40 is too electronic for my comfort zone....

Mark Wood

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a long time since I've used my OM-40 but if my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always!), I thought that if the camera is working properly, the shutter should reset itself from a state like this when you switch to "battery test" on the mode selector. From what I remember, if you fire the shutter with no batteries or dead batteries, the mirror stays up. It doesn't help that the OM-40 is a notorious battery eater.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zygi,

Glad the information that I emailed you directly sorted the problem out and all is now OK.As you said two coincidences can add up to a rather unusual failure mode.When I posted the previous comments,I assumed that you had tried the fix in my email and it had not worked.

Glenn.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, for the rest of us... what were the coincidences and the fix?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sun is a red herring.He had renewed mirror foam and was using sunlight to examine the interior of mirror box,hence B setting.He was also worried about leaving the shutter cocked for any length of time, in this condition.

I was taught camera/optic repairs by a dear friend who ran his own repair business.When he died he left me all his notes etc.I checked the notes;on the OM40 he mentioned that if the replacement damper foam is thicker than it should be and the batteries are weak,but not weak enough to fail battery test,then the mirror can hang and shutter will not fire.

I also passed on the stated dodge to check this fault, squeeze mirror gently against foam and see if shutter will fire.

The foam was on the thick side and has been replaced.New batteries also fitted as obviously were on the way out.The notes confirm Mark Wood's comments that the OM40 eats batteries.

As I said I have never used or opened up any of the OM series,so can only repeat what is written in the notes.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

very good call!

: ) =

zygiozi

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentelmen!! You are great ! The live of maniacs is hard..but support I got is enormous. See me in Downunder and enjoy free accomodation and good Emu Export beer. Kind regards /Zygi Warnbro Western Australia. Camera works as before ...The bloody foam too thick/ weak batteries at the same time of examination...Well..have to remember to help others in their trouble.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration