Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agnar lens - what grease to use. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Agnar lens - what grease to use. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harv

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've restored an Agfa Ventura 69 and managed to separate the frozen focusing lens and remove the old grease. Problem now is that the lens is quite sloppy in the threads - so much so that the focus shifts. Does it now need a specific type of grease in the threads to firm things up?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually there is not too much play in the focussing threads. However, there have been many postings concerning re-greasing lenses, helicoids etc. I use silicone grease. You should avoid any mineral-oil based grease, most greases used by machinists are like that. They may bleed out and leave residues of vapor on the lens elements.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need a small amount of grease to give some damping and prevent drift, too. Search the archives for more information since this has been discussed several times. Here are my choices:

1) The best grease for lens focus I've found is Nye damping grease. It's expensive and may not be available except through mail order.

2) Second choice is silicon lube gel. This should be available in hardware or electronic stores.

3) Last choice is auto chassis grease. This works well, but beware that the petroleum in the grease will eventually migrate or dry out and the camera will then have to be serviced again. Only use this if you can't find something else.

Alex

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd echo Dan's suggestion number 2. I've been using a tube of silicon grease I got from an electronics store (Maplin in the UK), and it's worked perfectly on all the Agfa and Zeiss folders I've worked on, applying the grease by lifting a few tiny drops on the end of a cocktail stick or toothpick. At the rate at which the grease is required, my tube of it will last me around eight hundred years.

Harv

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info gents - I'll try the silicone. No idea why the threads are so sloppy but there is enough back and forth movement to affect the infinity focus. I have two others with Agnar lenses and they're beautifully sharp.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration