Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 jammed self timer Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Auto S2 jammed self timer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a clean looking Konica Auto S2 with a non- operating shutter. I scanned the Internet and this forum's archives and found several excellent resources on repairing this camera. However, none of them address my specific problem:

The self timer lever is jammed in the armed position. (Facing the front of the camera, the lever is in the down position) The camera appears to be cocked as the cocking lever is blocked. I have dissasembled the front of the lens to the point where I have removed the cocking rack.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try next or point me to other Internet resources I should check?

thanks...steve

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is most often the result of a dirty shutter. Try putting some drops of lighter fluid on the self timer unit and see if it will run down.

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply.

Over the last few days I've been periodically putting lighter fluid on the shutter and the timer mechanism to dissolve any grease/crud that may be there. This has not freed up the shutter or the timer. I'm inclined to think that there may be a mechanical problem vs. dirt problem. do you have any suggestions on a fix or do you think that I need more patience with the lighter fluid baths?

thanks..steve

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The self timer assembly can be removed as a sub-assembly without affecting any other parts of the camera. Maybe the self timer itself is inoperative. Most self timers can be reset by gently pushing the self timer lever backwards. If this is not possible maybe the gears are jammed.

BTW many people try to get their (jammed) shutters back to work by setting the self timer. This usually does not help, and in case the self timer is not working correctly you have a totally inoperative camera.

Steve

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely think the self timer gears are jammed. I have more than gently pushed on the self timer lever and it does not move at all. As I have nothing to lose, I'd like to try to remove the self time subassembly. Can you outline how this is done?

steve

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you opened the shutter it should be obvious which is the self timer assembly. It's some time ago I repaired my Auto-S2 but IIRC the self timer is attached to the shutter bottom by two screws close to the ends of the assembly. Remove them and lift the self timer gently.

Ken H

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is one screw near the botom left side of the timer...rotate it 90 degrees and the timer should be loose...lift up carefully...may have to move timer lever to clear ring grooves on barrel for shutter/apeture....
The camera will work without the self timer but the top end of the self timer holds the detent for the speed ring....without it no detent stops at shutter speeds.
and...I happen to have a good working self timer reasonably priced...if interested please contact me.

WernerJB

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the ST in Citizen or Copal shutters is inoperative due to a broken axis or any other problem where replacement by using spare parts is necessary, a source for them is old (German/ Japanese/ Chinese) junkers. I have repaired selftimers with broken ratchets and cogwheels by salvaging them out from old Agfas, Paxettes and Seagulls which were beyond repair anyway. Swapping or replacement is easy AFA the size of the parts is concerned, otherwise it is a fiddly job, but if it was easy we would not do it, would we ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration