Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro switches Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Electro switches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My elctro GTN seems to work ok, but I wonder if there is a problem with the switches actuated by the shutter release.

In dim light, I need to press the shutter release at least half way down before the orange light will come on. However, in strong light, the red light will come on with only a slight push, and quickly turns off when I push further. In other words, the lights turn on at different positions of the shutter release button. Also, it's actually quite hard to get the red light to stay on even when way overexposed. You have to push the button just the right amount.

Is this normal?

My "pad of death" looked fine when I opened the camera up. Also, exposure seems ok regardless of the indicator lights.

Another strange thing is that there are usually only two or three aperture stops between lighting either the orange or red light. Since the lights represent below 1/30s and above 1/500s, there should be four or five possible aperture settings between these.

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your red/yellow lights are ok. That's the way they work.

Scott

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also expected there would be more aperture settings between the settings that trigger the red and yellow lights, but my Yashica GSN seems to work pretty much like yours. Perhaps it's normal.

I use 4 stacked LR44 batteries (I think they're alkaline) to operate mine, and I usually get very nice exposures, especially in low light. I'll put in fresh batteries after about every 5 rolls of film.

Judging by which aperture setting lights the yellow lamp, I set the ASA dial at one and a third stop below the ASA rating of the film I'm using.

I also have to kind of "pump" the shutter button up and down to check where the red and yellow lights come on, because the button has to be a little higher to trigger the red lamp, and then a little lower in order to trigger the yellow lamp. It would be nice if both lamps could be lit with the shutter button in the same position. Maybe it's got some dirty contact points.

Jonathan

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, thanks for that, it seems to be normal then.

You'd think the same switch would activate either one or the other light, but it seems not. I cleaned what I thought was the right switch, but maybe there is another for the red light. I haven't got round to correlating the wiring diagram with the actual camera.

Strangely, my camera came with a clean battery compartment and a fully charged mercury battery! I think I will have to set the ASA dial a bit lower too. Colour film likes over- more than underexposure anyway.

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine works that way too, except I can't seem to get my yellow light to come on at all-- anyone have any advice?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the yellow bulb for continuity (it should show very low resistance when connected to an ohmmeter with low test voltage), and its wiring.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration