Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"Precise NYC USA" range finder repair... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » "Precise NYC USA" range finder repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have a Precise optical rangefinder that has a loose mirror bouncing around inside of it's housing. Does anyone have a few pointers or tips in the dissassembly and repair of these type units? Thanks.

Will

P.S. Here is a picture of the unit:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1062736/precise_rangefinder.jpg

John Shriver

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, I just worked on a similar unit, from the Brownie Mfg Co. I use it with my Kodak Monitor Six-20 and Six-16 cameras, in the accessory shoe. (The round ends should slide into an accessory shoe.)

The ends unscrew.

The knob is held by the outer nut, with the two spanner holes. You may need to make a tool to open that. (Two nails through a block of wood will do.) Mine had slots, I filed a washer to make a wrench.

Then the inner hub under the knob will unscrew from the body. It pushes on a sprung lever that rotates the mirror at the "far" end of the rangefinder.

Once you can look in both ends, you'll see how screws or a pin form the pivot for the moving mirror mount.

I didn't figure out how the fixed half-silvered mirror is mounted in mine, but there are two screws I didn't remove.

Calibration is trivial. Put it all back together, and then put the knob on such that it is at infinity when the rangefinder coincides when looking at the moon.

I also checked mine at 3 and 6 feet sighting down a tape measure.

http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Will

Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Thanks much for the tips! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, having never been into one before. It's funny you mention that you use yours on a Kodak Monitor 620. I plan on using mine on a Kodak Tourist that I mod'd to use 120 film without respooling. Thanks again,

Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration