Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiron 28-85mm rear-lens element "fogg... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Kiron 28-85mm rear-lens element "fogging" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brock

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a Kiron 28-85mm f2.8 macro zoom that is in mint condition except that the
rear lens element appears to be "fogged" on the
inside. I think that it may be covered by some
lubricant and I need some suggestions as to
what else it might be and also some info on what
possible cure there is for it.

Thanks guys...or gals.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove rear element and try and clean first.If this does not work then you could have an adhesive fault if rear group is cemented.I do not know the optical construction of this lens.However this type of fault is unusual in modern optics and your oil/dirt theory is probably correct.

As you class your lens as cosmetically mint,if elements damaged you can always find one in worn condition with good optics and do a transplant.

My personal opinion is that a lens with marked optics cannot be described as mint.I hope you did not pay over the odds for it.

Richard Brock

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information Glenn. As I think
about it you are correct about the lens being
classed as mint, and the price that I paid for
it was definitely in keeping with the condition
of the rear element.

Joy

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kiron 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro lens. I was looking for advice on cleaning. The ring which adjusts the "zoom" and Macros setting is very stiff, almost feels rough when turning it and the focusing ring, although it moves freely, feels a little loose (?) and skips sometimes as you turn it. I have tried searching the internet, and this site, for information on the internal workings of this lens - no luck so far. Is there somewhere you can find schematics, or repair advice for these lenses?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration