Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon al-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon al-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

S. Allen Rose

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who has Canon AL-1 battery doors?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try some repair shops to see if they have parts cameras.This has worked for me in the past.I have not found anybody re-manufacturing AL-1 body parts. However this does not mean that one of our friends from India does not produce them.AAKASH INDUSTRIES do not list this item and they produce most things-good value also.You could ask if they have this in the pipeline

Gary

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a stash of Canon SLR parts to include AL-1 so please contact me offline at: [email protected]

Timo Steuerwald

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

Doesn't the door from the AE-1 fit?

If so, look here: http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?LTPLanguage=EN&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CF1-1489&Store_Code=MTE
But this company is located in germany, so mailing expenses may be high.

Cheers,

Timo

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micro-tools is actually located in California, with a second office in Germany.... but no, the battery cover for the AL1 is not the same as the AE1.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a whole bundle of Canon SLR's which use that same battery-door part. Buy flea market el-cheapo non-working junker model and cannibalise it. That's the way to go.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No the AL-1 is unique and no other door will fit. However, as you say the only way to get a replacement is to buy a parts body.

Henry

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No other A series, but isn't it the same door as the T series? T-50, T-70? I have an AL-1 here but no T series so can't say for sure.

But anyway, the AL-1 door can be repaired if only the latch mechanism is broken. Remove the metal contact plate with a soldering iron...melting the rivets off. Trim the broken plastic bits off the latch and fashion a metal leaf spring to shove the latch in place. To reattach the contact plate, find three thin headed screws. Hold the screws with locking tweezers while heating the screw threads. Plunge the red hot screw into the hole and hold to the count of five...until it cools. Be sure to hold the contact plate firmly in place with your thumb while riveting.

Stuart taught me that trick! Don't you remember helping me Stuart? I thought it ingenious.

Henry

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

T70 is definitely different and I think the T50 is also different from the T70. However I do not know if a T50 can be altered to fit. From pictures on the Canon Museum site the AL-1 looks a different shape at the top.

Henry

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, Glenn, you are right about them being different. Looked in my AL-1 and T-70 service manuals and the p/n's are CYI-1105-000 and CYI-1164-000 respectively. But they look awfully similar.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration