Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Best way to repair scratches/nicks on... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Best way to repair scratches/nicks on body plastic? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chuck L.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon F90X (N90S) that I just noticed has gotten a few fairly superficial scratches and nicks in the black plastic of the body, along one of the edges.

I have no idea how it happened but I must have accidentally knocked it against something. :(

What is the best way to repair and restore? Like, is there a plastic filler or something that anyone can recommend?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not an easy question, Chuck. There is a product used by body shops called "Kitty Hair" (don't laugh...that is actually its name). Kitty Hair is a filler into which is mixed chopped strands of fiberglass. You can fill the worst scratches like a champ, but of course you have to sand and paint afterwards. Here is an inside tip...you can color it with tint or xerox toner powder (if black is what you need), and it will dry black (or whatever color you use). Then you sand with 600 wet and wet sand again with a very fine grade (1000 or so), and you might be able to make it look better. I'd try this on something scrap first, though. I'm not aware of any other product that might do what you want to do here.
Jon

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel that 'Kitty Hair' is somewhat drastic.I use the follow method and have had great success transforming the appearance of what were very worn looking lenses (Canon FD 7.5mm/5.6,14mm/2.8L,17mm/4).Tatty bargains now look very good,I do not like worn looking equipment.

Get yourself a Micro Mesh Polishing Kit.This is US product but as I am in UK- www.eternaltools.com is my supplier.These special abrasives and polish will allow you to refinish any painted or plastic surface back to as manufactured.

To fill the nicks,if you cannot 'sand' them out, use an epoxy glue that is both slow setting and hard when set.Colour the epoxy with the black fine enamels from Micro Tools.By mixing both matt and gloss you can get just the right surface lustre.Apply the epoxy in small layers and you should not have to work it down with the Micro Mesh.Does not matter if you have to,but you can miss this out if you are very careful.

Some matt or stippled plastic finishes can be reproduced by brushing on a solvent mix.This is very dependent on plastic type.Thus you need exact plastic mix even to try this.You can get a very sticky camera!

If you want greater details of the polish/filling contact me direct.

Glenn.

Chuck L.

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the fast replies Jon and Glenn. The Micro Mesh kit sounds a little easier to experiment with so I'll give that a try first.

Much appreciations :)

regards
Chuck

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention the Micro Mesh kit is available on eBay sometimes.Look under Watch Spares or Watch Repairs,UK and US sites are different but eBay UK has listed this product.Price of kit in UK is approx £19.00.

Glenn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration