Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Planar 50 1.7:focussing problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss Planar 50 1.7:focussing problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jose Manuel Barros

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, I have purchased a Planar to fit my Canon camera with an adaptor, but I cannot focus at infinity.Could anybody tell me how to dismount the lens in order to shorten the lens to film distance and get infinity focus.Many thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What mount is the Planar and what Canon type mount are you using?

Personally I would sell the Planar and get a good Canon standard lens.Why butcher a lens when there are better genuine Canon optics?

Jose Manuel Barros

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Planar is Yashica/Contax mount and the camera mount is Canon EOS;I thought that this lens was better than Canon EF 50mm 1.8.I don´t like AF lenses.The problem is that the Y/C to EOS adaptor is too thick, so infinity focus is impossible.I also have a Nikkor 24mm 2.8 that works fine with another adaptor.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is your particular adapter.The Y/C to EOS adapter should always give infinity focus.I would exchange the adapter for a properly made one. www.cameraquest.com sells really well made adapters that work.Problem is that you have to pay for this type of engineering - $175,but well worth it!

Agree that EF50mm/1.8 can be a bit of a dog.As you have Nikon/EOS adapter,why not get a Nikkor 50mm.You have some really good glass there.

Alex

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to spend a bit of money to get an adapter that has been made to the correct tolerances. I bought cheap M42-to-EOS adapters on Ebay and never again: the 'register' was too short by about 1.6mm and lenses would focus 'beyond' infinity. Not quite such a problem as never focussing at infinity, but it means that depth-of-field marks are useless, as is indicated focus distance.

I also use my Y/C Zeiss lenses on my Canon, mounting them using Bob Shell's adapter (http://www.bobshell.com/adapter.html), and though it cost $150, it works perfectly, and I recommend it. I know others who also recommend the CameraQuest adapter.

Jose Manuel Barros

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Glenn and Alex for your advice, I am considering the purchase of Bob Shell´s or Cameraquest adapter, or looking for a second hand one at Ebay.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration