Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens Pen and SLR mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Lens Pen and SLR mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jamesmck

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Pentax Autoreflex TC that was stored without a lens or cap in place, and has dust on the mirror that won't blow off. What is the safest way to clean? Is a Lens Pen an option?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd use a Q-Tip with some glass cleaner (like Windex). Wet one end of the Q-Tip and go across the mirror slowly and softly, turning the Q-Tip about a quarter turn as you make each pass. Dry the mirror using the dry end of the Q-Tip. Use no more pressure than you would use if you were touching your bare eyeball with your finger, and please don't keep rubbing around on it...you just want to remove the dust, dry and leave it alone. Also, don't get your focus screen wet. That is another issue. A lens pen is not a good option...the bristle end is too rough, and the other end won't reach up into the small space. Good luck!

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My method is a slight variationon Jon's:

I wrap a lens tissue around the end of the Q-Tip to prevent leaving cotton stringies behind, and I use Ronsonol fuel instead of Windex.

After the wet wipe as Jon describes, I'm left with what look like watermarks on the otherwise clean mirror after the solvent dries. For these, I wrap a fresh tissue around a fresh, dry Q-Tip and breath on the mirror, then lightly wipe away the fog with the Q-tip. This removes the watermarks and leaves the mirror clean.

jamesmck

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jon and Rick. Now I'm left with choosing between Windex and Ronsonol. Maybe I'll try both on a piece of soiled plain glass.

jamesmck

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I don't have a rare bird Pentax Autoreflex. Just a plain Konica.

paul ron

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't use alcohol on a first surface mirror it will turn colors and darken it as well.

If you want to replace the mirror, e-mail me I have plenty of first surface mirror and can cut any size you need.

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget that on a SLR the mirror must have proper thickness. If a replaced mirror has different thickness you will have to readjust the focussing screen which involves removing the top cover of the camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration