Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 Light Seal Issue? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE1 Light Seal Issue? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marshall Dubin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks! ALl of a sudden over the last few weeks, I am getting light damage to film in my AE1. The seal LOOKS ok, but I wonder. The sprocket area of the film is fogged and this fogging carries down the picture frame.

At first I thought my bulk film loader had problems but I am getting the same result with fresh factory film.

Is it possible for the top door seal to look OK and not gummy, but still allow light inside? Is the problem easy to fix? Thanks - Marshall

rick

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have suspected the bulk loader too, I've had problems with that - but if it's happening with factory film it must be the light seals. A Canon AE1 is certainly old enough to want them replaced.

It is pretty easy to do, and it gets easier with the instructions and tool that come in Jon Goodman's kits.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As well as fitting new seals, check that the door is not distorted or damaged. Also make sure the latch hook on the door is not worn.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Marshall. The AE-1 can leak at the hinge end fairly easily. If you need instructions/images of the re-sealing of it, please let me know. I'm happy to e:mail them to you (at the hinge end, it has seal on both the body and the film door, and I've found a 1mm fabric seal applied to both seals it nicely). You can e:mail me at [email protected].
Jon

Marshall

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks and thanks for the great advice. I bought one of Jon's kits and will try to fix the problem myself before spending the $85.00 quoted me by the local repair shop. I want to save up for a CLA and hate to spend the additional money.
Jon's kit may be just the ticket. I'll let you know how it works. I also am replacing my bulk film loader with a newer Watson just to be on the safe side. :)

Alex

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unlike you, I shelled out for a CLA, which did not cure the problem (orange banding on prints), and which turned out to be light leakage. The amount I'd spent on the CLA was about the same as the amount spent on ruined material and wasted processing. I have one of Jon's kits, and I know you'll find it money well spent. So far I have re-lined three Yashica SLRs, two Contaxes, two Nikons, replaced all their mirror damper foam, and last night renewed all the seals on an Olympus 35RC. There's still loads of material left to do more. I think it's one of the most satisfying jobs to do on a camera.

Marshall

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I tried replacing the foam on the length of the door and body but not the hinge. Ran a test film and still get a nasty leak. I am guessing the problem is either the hinge or latch area - but the felt LOOKS ok. Jon's kit gives me ample material though, so I probably should just take the time and redo the hinge area too, since that may be the culprit.
This is what I get by being too impulsive!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never forget the hinge seals on the A series!!Also check door is not badly worn by the Zero Reset Striker.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn is right...the hinge seals are the single most common area where a camera (SLR or Rangefinder) will leak light. Please remember, there was a strip of seal material on the body and the film door of this Canon model. Good luck.
Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration