Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL-17, 28 help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet QL-17, 28 help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian Lozada

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a pair of Canonets, a -17 and a -28. I have not figured out how to get the shutters to fire on either of them. When I press the button on each, it goes all the way down with no resistance.

Any ideas?

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First the obvious: 1) please don't take this as a personal offence, but I imagine you are aware you must advance before firing the shutter? 2) If the cameras have no battery or the battery is exhausted, and if the aperture ring is set on "A", shutter will not fire. 3) If the camera is advanced and is not on "A" (or it is on "A" with fresh battery) the shutter should either fire or the button remain blocked after a very short movement. In this latter case, however, the advance lever should also remain blocked. If you can advance and advance and the button always goes all the way down, the linkage between the lever and the shutter is broken.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another, fairly common possibility (after you've checked out the battery thing)... more common than a broken linkage... is that the shutter blades may be stuck together. In this case, the shutter will wind and when you push the button it will go down.... you might even sense an extremely faint click, but you might not.... and the shutter does not fire, but you can wind the lever again.

This is common enough that it's dealt with in the repair articles on this site.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration