Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat batery compartment is jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikkormat batery compartment is jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

miket

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My son's Nikkormat FT has a jammed battery compartment cover. Any suggestions on loosening this thing without wrecking or breaking anything? I'm inclined to take a large cheap blade screwdriver and grind the end to fit-anyone try this?

rick

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a nickel, that I filed the edges for a good fit and punched a hole in it so I can carry it on a keychain and not spend it by accident.

And of course, remember, like all things Nikon, the battery cover works BACKWARDS: You turn it clockwise to remove it.

miket

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the nickel idea, I'll have to add that one to the toolkit. I own many Nikons though, and have always used nickels to remove the battery cover but on this one it's jammed up tight beyond belief. The camera is a recent Ebay purchase so I can't blame the son for forcing it shut-this is how it came. The meter works (amazingly enough) but I would like to clean out the battery compartment of any corrosion-in fact I'm worried that the reason why it's jammed is just that or alternately some ill fitting home made battery adapter has been used to replace the orginal.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One handy thing about the nickel is that it fits in a pair of Vise-Grips.....

Sometimes threaded battery covers get stuck in corrosion from leaky batteries, but I've never seen that happen with the bayonet type used on the Nikkormats....

Malcolm Campbell

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try LIGHTLY tapping straight down on it with a jeweler's hammer or someting similar to loosen it. Also try tapping down on the removel tool (nickel) as you apply turning pressure.

miket

Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last night the battery cover practically popped out by itself with no prompting-go figure. The battery compartment is nice and clean, the shutter seems to work properly at all speeds, and the only thing left to be done is to redo the goopy light seals. All in all the kid got a good deal. Thanks for all the tips.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration