Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 283--it's quite a shock... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Vivitar 283--it's quite a shock... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josh Earl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently replaced my Vivitar 283's plastic hot shoe with the standard metal hot shoe available on eBay--the one with the PC connector and second test button.

I have a problem, though. When ever I touch the hot shoe accidentally, I get a pretty serious shock. It's quite painful. It occurs whether I touch the shoe itself, the PC connector, or the shoe mount on my Nikon FE2.

Is this normal? Is it just something I'll have to live with? Or did I connect my wires wrong?

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Electronic flashes often have an 'ignition voltage' in the range of 100 volts or more. However, this voltage should be present at the center contact of the hot shoe only. Maybe you swapped two wires of the flash contact so the outer parts of the shoe contacts are under high voltage.

Just one warning to all electronic flash tinkerers: voltages inside the unit can be even higher, and even though the current will not be lethal you might get a severe electric shock when touching parts inside. Always make sure that the flash capacitors are discharged. Fire the flash and switch it off immediately, fire it again to make sure and THEN continue to work.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTE;The insulation on some of these third party metal shoes is very suspect.Only good ones I have seen come from US Camera.If you have wired correctly, check that nothing is touching the metal foot that should not be.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration