Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter curtain problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Shutter curtain problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

matthew

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a problem with my shutter curtain closest to the back of the camera. it is out of the holder, and i need to know how to fix it. can anybody please help me?
-matthew

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need a little more information: What camera are we talking about? Does one edge of the curtain feel slack, like the ribbon has come detached from its spool, or has the curtain fabric just gotten out of its little guide channel?

If the latter, you can probably just remove the lens, grip the curtain gently between thumb and forefinger, and lift it back into its place.

matthew

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, the camera is a minolta x-370, and yes the ribbon has become detached from the spool. do you think you can help me??

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get to that, the mirror box will have to come out. I've never done this on an X-370; I expect it would involve removing the top cover and front leather, and any flex circuit boards that are tangled up on top of the prism (which may be the most difficult part).

If it were me, I'd probably look into the price of a replacement body before embarking on this adventure.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are talking about the most involved thing you can do on a X370. The entire camera will need to be disassembled. Lots of desoldering to get each module separated. Even after the mirror box is pulled you'll need to remove the shutter assembly from the mirror box...gears will need to be re-timed during assembly.

It's a very time consuming experience. Not nearly worth the $25 you can get a working X370 for. If you want to have fun, go for it. We'll help. But if you are a newbie, be warned, you WILL end up with a basket case.

However, if you are a newbie camera tinkerer but are pretty skilled at electronic disassembly, there is a great likelihood you'll get a $25 camera running with only investing 10-20 hours work.

My third ever camera to open was a X370. After oily blades on a Canonet rangefinder and a Demi with a bent cocking linkage I got cocky and picked up a Minolta X370 with a loose shutter curtain like yours. It is a very common failing on this era Minolta, btw. 10 minutes into the project my only comment was: "Holy S**t". It went back on the shelf and six months (and several cameras) later I tried it again. I did get it running eventually. Unscrewing the screws out of the plastic body frame itself is a huge ordeal.

Henry

matthew

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just as you henry i say "holy sh*t." i am definitley a newb at camera tinkering, so i have no idea how to do any of the dissasebling. i got my camera on ebay for $35, the bad thing is that it came with no manuals whatsoever. i have no idea what to do with this..i have no money either so, i guess i have to start saving up money (even though i dont have a job) or i will hjave to see who wants to buy a x370 with a loose shutter curtain.thanks all.
-matthew

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration